1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Tamazight: Taneith / Tanit

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by katqanna, Nov 14, 2011.

1. katqanna New Member

English
    I am hoping that someone familiar with the Tamazight language will be able to identify the root of a name for me. The Egyptian deity Neith, in Carthaginian culture was called Taneith / Tanit. I understand that the Amazigh people are descended from the Phoenicians and that Athene / Anat / Tanit / Neith are all the same. I also knew that the Tamazight used a Ta at the beginning of a feminine word and a t at the end, but what is the root meaning of na / nei ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. MassNssen Junior Member

Moroccan Arabic
    Tifinagh, the amazigh script is derived from the Phoenician scirpt. Amazigh people, on the other hand, have nothing to do with Phoenicians, descent wise (other than both being Afro-Asiatic).
    |
    As for the name, I know that Anir means something like shining star. The feminine form would be Tanirt. It's a far shot, bit it's still something to consider.

It might be woth mentioning, that I've stumbled upon a Libyan blog talking about an ancient town in the West of the country called Anir. A female person from that town would be called Tanirit.