1. Krams Junior Member

Barcelona, Catalonia
    Catalonia, Catalan
    Regards.
    Firstly, I was wondering how would you say in english what in spanish is said "tampoco". I've heard about "neither", then a teacher told me that was "either", I thought it was "too", so I ended as I began: with nothing. And this afternoon I thought: Might the beautiful people of the forum help me? (is this question correct?) And I post my questions.

Thanks!
    Krams

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  2. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hello

Tampoco: Neither

For ex

I don't like coffee.
    Me neither

I don't like coffee.
    Neither do I.

Either means "cualquiera de los dos"

What do you prefer, coffee or tea? Either.

Regarding your second question, I will leave it to the experts.

Cheers,
    Belén

PD - You'll see I've changed your title, please be so kind to provide a title relevant to the question you are asking. Thanks for your cooperation.

3. Christian Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA English

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  4. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hi Christian,

I'll try to help you out

A. Ninguno de los dos quiere ir al cine.
    B. Yo tampoco quiero ir al cine (Yo no quiero ir al cine tampoco)
    C. Ella no quiere ir al cine y yo tampoco
    D. O vas tú o voy yo. No queremos ir juntos. (The literal translation :"Ninguno de los dos quiere ir con el otro" sounds really forced)

Cheers,
    Be

5. Salbei

Salbei Junior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Spain, Spanish, Catalan
    "Either" can also mean "tampoco"
    Creo que se usa "either" si hay ninguna negación en la frase, y "neither" cuando no la hay:

- I don't want to go to the movie either (don't want ---> negación)
    - Neither do I (la negación la marcas con el neither, no con el verbo)

That's the way I learnt it, pero seguro que hay más matices...

Greetings

Marina

6. Christian Senior Member

Los Angeles
    USA English
    Emotional context, if it helps:

Neither is a negative word. It frequently means, "not either" and is probably a contraction of that phrase. (Cual prefieres? Neither!) It doesn't wear a smile. If someone says, "I don't eat live frogs," you say "me neither!" (yeeech!) Actually, "me neither" is grammatically incorrect ("me" is the subject, so it should be nominative case "I"; "I don't, either" is correct). But who cares, "me neither" has spunk.

Either is a divisive word. It is all about "one or the other." It's a good word for ultimatums. "Either you stop doing that, or I'm leaving." (note the common either-or construction.) Oscar Wilde supposedly said on his deathbed, which was in an ugly bedroom, "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do." However, you can say "either" with a smile, when presented with two large diamond rings to choose between. "Either!"

Neither of these summaries is perfect. Either may contain errors. Neither the first nor* the second is infallible. I am either being helpful, or being confusing.

*Either...or, but "neither...nor." It's just easier to say.

7. rayb Senior Member

Chile - Spanish
    IMHO "tampoco is definately "either". However, English doesn´t accept double negatiom, that's why after a negation in English you have to replce "neither" by "either". Conversey, you don't need to do so in Spanish. For example: "I don't like it either" = "No me gusta tampoco".

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You will find a fascinating, and concurrent, discussion on prepositions at:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?p=244675#post244675
    ...now isn't that spooky - and even native English-speakers have to confess variations;)
    I am in the "if it sounds OK to me, I'll go with it" school, but I appreciate that is easy for someone brought up in the language but a cop-out in explaining to others.

Christian said "But who cares, "me neither" has spunk." Arrgghh:eek: