tanto quanto

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by bortoli, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bortoli New Member

Vorrei tradurre in inglese la seguente frase italiana
    ".... nonostante la memoria sia danneggiata tanto quanto i pazienti AD...."
    il mio tentativo è
    although memory is impaired as such as in AD patients

il dubbio è su "tanto quanto"

2. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    I'm afraid "as such as" isn't correct. Can you post the whole sentence, please, so that we can understand a little better?
  3. bortoli New Member

I wrote already the sentence:
    In healthy elderly executive functions slightly decline with age, in MCI individuals, although memory is impaired as much as in AD, executive functions are spared, and operate as cognitive reserve sustaining memory deficits.

as much as is better for tanto quanto?
  4. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    "As much as" is fine. You could also try "to the same degree as in AD patients", which I think suits the formal nature of the text quite well .

Also, I would say "healthy elderly people" and "cognitive reserves", although I have to admit I don't really understand that last part. However, that's probably due to my lack of knowledge on the subject.:)
  5. bortoli New Member

many thanks
  6. morgan la fay Member

I don't understand what 'tanto..quanto' stands for in this sentence.
    ''Nel corso di un viaggio attraverso l'Etruria, tanto breve quanto a lungo progettato...'

Can anybody help me understand?
  7. evrix

evrix Senior Member

I'd say "as much impaired as..."
    @morgan: at risk of being slapped, as you should have started a new thread, your sentence is kind ironic and a bit classy; the sense is that the travel was very short in spite of a very long time wasted in planning it.
  8. pescara Senior Member

I would say "...a trip as short in duration as it was long in planning."

9. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    (Morgan would have been referred back to this thread if (s)he had opened a new thread.)
    So does this mean there was a lot of planning or not a lot of planning?
    I thought if there was not a lot of planning you wouldn't use "lungo progettato" but something that meant "as short in duration as it was (short) in planning"
  10. evrix

evrix Senior Member

There's been a long planning (wasn't I clear?); your supposition is correct, in fact, but the italian complete form is "a lungo progettato", "lungo progettato" has no meaning; maybe "progettato lungo" might be referred to a bridge or a travel or ...
  11. crikcrok89 Member

Turin (Italy)
    Hi! I want to translate this sentence from Italian To English: "Egli viene punito tanto per le sue malefatte, quanto per il suo desiderio di vendetta..." I tried " He is punished for his misdeeds and his desire for revenge as well"...what do you think about "as well"??
    Many thanks