tanto sus padres como su hermana han sido un apoyo muy grande

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by malulita31, Sep 9, 2012.

1. malulita31 Senior Member

colombia
    Spanish
    Is, [U1] her parents have been great support [U2] since she was born, like that her sister[U3] , who is one years older that her.[U4]

[U1]THE VERB IS AT THE BEGINNING IS NOT CORRECT.

[U2]A GREAT SUPPORT TO HER/FOR HER

[U3]¿?????????

[U4]YEAR OLDER ¿????? NO SE SI SE USA COMPARATIVO O SE DICE 1 YEAR OLDER

2. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    You have pointed out the problems. What do you want us to do? Can you try to correct the sentence yourself, or are you trying to translate it into Spanish, or what? If you can make your query a bit clearer, we'd be glad to help.

3. malulita31 Senior Member

colombia
    Spanish
    Sure, I sent it by accident. Una de mis estudiantes esta escribiendo sobre Adriana Macias, abogada mexicana que nació sin manos. Esta escribiendo que tanto sus padres como su hermana quien es un año mayor que ella han sido un apoyo muy grande. Me gustaría escuchar sugerencias sobre la correcta gramática de las oraciones a continuación. La primera fue escrita por la estudiante y la segunda es mi sugerencia.

1. Is, her parents have been great support since she was born, like that her sister, who is one years older that her.
    2. Her parents have been a great support since she was born, like them her sister, who is one year older than her.

thanks
    maria

4. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    It´s best to put the original sentence as the thread title to help future searchers so I have changed it.
    Yours is a big improvement on the original but still not quite right. You should replace "like them" by "as well as" and it sounds better.
    I suggest turning it around:
    Both her parents and her sister, who is one year older, have been a great support ever since she was born.