Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by KaterinaWard, Nov 11, 2012.

1. KaterinaWard Member

English (UK)

I want to say the following:
    And furthermore, when you consider that Greece is currently living through the worst economic crisis since the 1930’s, it is easy to see how Greece’s immigrants could become one of many scapegoats. And unfortunately, it is a lot easier to violently target the unrepresented, undefended minority of immigrants in Greece than it is to target those to blame in authority.

I'm struggling to find the right translation for target in this sense of the word. So far I have:
    Και επιπλέον, αν σκεφτεί κανείς ότι η Ελλάδα επί του παρόντος βιώνει τη χειρότερη οικονομική κρίση από τη δεκαετία του 1930, είναι εύκολο να δείτε πώς οι μετανάστες στην Ελλάδα θα μπορούσαν να γίνουν ένα από τα πολλά αποδιοπομπαίους τράγους. Και δυστυχώς, είναι πολύ πιο εύκολο να (???).. μειονότητα των μεταναστών στην Ελλάδα από να (???)...
  2. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

3. KaterinaWard Member

English (UK)
    Thank you!
  4. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Hi. I think a better verb in this case is the more recent one (coined especially to translate "to target") στοχοποιώ, e.g. ... παρά να στοχοποιηθούν άνθρωποι που βρίσκονται στην εξουσία.
    However, for a better rendering of "violently target" I would first change the English to something like "direct their violence against" and then translate that to: ... πιο εύκολο να διοχετεύσουν τη βία τους στους...