Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by Nunty, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Term: (A word or expression you have seen in writing)

Your definition or explanation:
    I'm not sure. I think it means something like "joyfully exchanging tart (snarky) remarks".

Example: (An example of the term in use)
    On one hand I think it would be fantastic if the comments on this post became a merry string of links in that vein. [...]

On the other, it would produce an unimaginably large tartfest, wouldn't it.

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)
    WRF thread: tartfest

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    I've added some comments in the thread itself - but it seems to me that this is a known phrase for people acting a certain way in internet forums, but I can't tell exactly what (although probably not complimentary).

Edit - my current vote goes for "variation on tardfest (which can be found in urbandictionary), based on the misspelling of "retart" for "retard"."
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. LaVieja Member

U,S,A, English
    besides being a small pie-like pastry, "tart" can mean 'a prostitute, too

and of course as an adjective, it's "agreeably sharp or acid to the taste" or "marked by a biting, acrimonious, or cutting quality"

the "fest" part is simply a handy suffix that can be tacked on to a wide variety of words . . . . . for example "slugfest" in which fisticuffs are exchanged . . . .
  4. Salvage Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio
    USA English
    I have heard tartfest used to describe a broadcast conversation between two or more individuals in hire (directly or not) to advocate a certain viewpoint. Frequently all participants have the same point of view, yet the event is guised as fact-finding, an interview, news analysis, or panel discussion.

The tart is the person(s) for hire. The fest reflects the atmosphere of the occasion; the unthoughtful, aimless, even festive, spewing of a philosophy or position.

Here is a 2005 use of the word:

"-fest" is an established suffix for an event with a party atmosphere and not to be taken too seriously.

I think the sense of tart as a paid disingenuous person, is also well established beyond the profession of prostitute.