1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Tash ma tash طاش ما طاش

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by CarlosPerezMartinez, Jun 30, 2006.

1. CarlosPerezMartinez Senior Member

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Spain, Spanish
    Hello,

Does anybody out there know the exact meaning of the expression "Tash ma tash طاش ما طاش " and when and why is used? I like the TV series but do not understand completely the meaning of that sentence.

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Do you have any context? Where did you hear/read this expression?

3. SofiaB Senior Member

English Asia
  4. CarlosPerezMartinez Senior Member

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Spain, Spanish
    Is a TV programme in Saudi Arabia, now broadcast by MBC TV channel. I was told that the meaning is something like "Either you get it or not" and is based in a game played by children shaking a can of soda and asking طاش ما طاش Will it spread when open or not? But I am trying to get better answers. By the way the TV series is wonderful.

5. fatiha Senior Member

ARABIC -MOROCCO
    Hi
    طاش ما طاش is a saudian comic tv serie.yes that means"either you get it or not" Mister Ayed can explain it very well
    فاتحة

6. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Well, Fatiha ..
    Once upon a time , in a festival , two Pepsi cans were brought ,one of which was shaken well ,opened and it fizzed (Tash)
    The second can left unshaken , opened and it hissed(Ma Tash: did not fizz ) .

Hence , based on this idea (Tash , Ma Tash --fizz, did not fizz) ,the Saudi series programm was produced .This is what I do know.

7. CarlosPerezMartinez Senior Member

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Spain, Spanish
    Thank you very much but I still don't know why they use Tash ma tash as a title for the TV series (which by the way I like too much!) and if it has another meaning.