'taste' palette [palate]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jd254, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jd254 New Member

If I'm talking about my taste palette, would I be wrong to use the following:

a. I need to clear my palette.
    b. My taste palette has dull.
    c. How can I wash this onion taste off my palette?

d. Would it be incorrect to use palate (which means the roof of your mouth) in any of the sentences?

e. Is "taste palette" part of the english language?

f. Is "taste palette" technically two words?
  2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Welcome, jd.

The spelling you want is "Palate":

Palette is something else entirely.

The use of "taste palate" would depend on the context.
  3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I think you are confusing "palette" with "palate". They are pronounced the same but mean different things:
    palette is either a dish/board where a painter mixes colors or a range of colors in a picture etc...
    palate is the roof of your mouth or the ability to taste

But wait for native speakers to elaborate...
  4. jd254 New Member

I am merely trying to describe the calibration of my taste buds.

Chef Mario has a taste palette that is both fine tuned and exquisite.

Too much junk food can ruin your palette
  5. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    In both cases, the word should be "palate," and it would sound natural in both examples. It could be used by itself, without "taste," in the first example.
  6. Monteleone Member

Canada, English
    Actually, "palate" is correct when taking about taste.
    The word "palette" is a small flat surface you may have seen painters (artists) use to mix their paint colours. It also refers generally to a range of colours (example: "his work is distinctive due to its limited palette"). Any other "palette" meanings?

My thoughts:
    a. I believe that "clean the palate" is actually the term more commonly used. "clear" also brings up a lot of hits on Google. Your question, however, brings to mind the term "palate cleanser" (example: a sherbet served between courses at dinner) and for that reason I am leaning toward "cleaning the palate."
    b. I'm not sure what is meant by this sentence. Perhaps you mean to speak of "taste buds" instead? Can you please clarify?
    c. In common usage, palate would probably not be used here. I would suggest something like "How can I get this onion taste out of my mouth?".
    d. As mentioned above, "palate" is indeed correct here.
    e. "Taste palette" :cross: I also would not suggest "taste palate", since, to my mind, "palate" implies taste.
    f. "Taste palate" would be two words, but as explained in (e), I believe including "taste" would be redundant.

Have a happy night!

I'd suggest something like "finely-tuned palate".

:eek:...and that's not ALL!
    P.S. "palate"
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  7. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I should add that "taste palette" could be used to refer to a spectrum of tastes. As palette can refer to the colors used in painting or design, so could a "taste palette" refer to the flavors used in a certain cuisine, by a certain cook, for a certain meal, etc. But "palette" would not be used to refer to someone's sense of taste.
  8. jd254 New Member

thank you, I was falsely informed when someone told me palate means strictly the roof of your mouth, so I assumed palette would be the word to use since mean the different variety of taste, and on a palette, there are many colors of paint, so I assumed a palette of taste or "taste palette" was correct. obviously, I'm wrong. i dont understand why it would be incorrect this way though, as I am talking metaphorically.

so back to the original question: so it is wrong to say: taste palate?
  9. jd254 New Member

is this true? If it does, I won the 2 hour argument with a friend of mine.
  10. Monteleone Member

Canada, English
    Good point, Bibliolept. :)
    The word "palate" is also heavily used in descriptions of wine.
    Example (not my own): a wine having a "midweight herby, spicy palate with good structure and acidity."
  11. Monteleone Member

Canada, English
    I would agree that the concept of "palate" can also describe a range of flavours as Bibliolept put forth.
    I would disagree, however, that we would be discussing "taste palate." It's simply "palate."
  12. jd254 New Member

I will agree that taste palate means taste taste, so therefore it is wrong. thank you for ALL your help. I really appreciate all the quick responses.
  13. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    There is also a third word with the same pronunciation : pallet
    Just in case there are other situations where homophones result in discussions, you will know that the two meanings you just learned about are not the only ones :D
  14. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    7 Rethought and Refreshed Recipes for Your Next Home-Cooked Meal

The extract is taken from an article for those who want to tickle their jaded palates with refreshed recipes. I'm leaning towards palette being a typo, but would like to check with you in case it's a play on the word.
  15. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'd vote "typo", redgiant!:D