taux effectif d'imposition de benefice

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by polygal, Jun 21, 2011.

1. polygal Senior Member

Lausannne Switzerland
    english USA
    I have a text to translate, bourré de vocabulaire 'business' and I have no idea what the English equivalents would be for several terms...
    Help!

Concrètement, cette révision fiscale mettra toutes les sociétés sur un pied d’égalité alors qu’actuellement seulement la moitié d'entre elles paient des impôts. De plus, le taux effectif d’imposition du bénéfice sera graduellement abaissé de 22.2% à 15.6% durant la période 2011 à 2016. En outre, le taux d’imposition sur le capital des sociétés holding sera divisé par 100 et passera de 0,5‰ to 0,005‰. Finalement, la nouvelle fiscalité permettra également l'imputation de l'impôt sur le bénéfice à l'impôt sur le capital.

It's saying that all the companies will be on an equal tax footing, whereas before, only half of them paid tax. Is it also saying that the tax rate on earnings will gradually decrease from 22% to 15.6%? And that the capital gains tax (or is it the fortune tax?) of the holding companies will be divided by 100, going from 0.5% to 0.005%. Then the new tax code will also permit the company to deduct the tax on earnings from the fortune tax.

I'd appreciate the input of our stable of financial experts... :)

2. carog Senior Member

England - Hampshire
    French - France
    I think you are talking about "corporate tax" (at least in the UK, not sure what the US term would be) which is a tax levied on company's profits.

"the new rate of corporate tax"? (I'm not sure how to translate "effectif" here)

Yes , this is my understanding.

I think for companies we would talk about "chargeable gains" instead of "capital gains" which seem to apply to individuals.
    Ignore that comment, I have realised you are talking about "imposition sur le Capital des sociétés"

3. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    Re: Capital Tax

There is a fairly good explanation here:

http://www.fidex-entreprises.ch/cre...iete_a_geneve/rubriques/impots_entreprise.php

The capital tax seems to be something like the old "taxe professionnelle" in France since it is paid directly to the cantons. (It is not a wealth (fortune) tax since that is only levied on people, not companies, but it is similar in its construction). The extract you posted is talking about a Capital Tax (not capital gains tax which is something different).

4. polygal Senior Member

Lausannne Switzerland
    english USA
    Thank you so much! I hate taxes!! :)

5. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    le taux effectif d’imposition du bénéfice => the effective rate of income tax, the effective income tax rate

Economists do classify a capital tax as a wealth tax since it is levied on the stock of [corporate] wealth without regard to the existence of income or cash flow with which to pay this tax. For this reason, the rates at which such taxes are levied are usually quite low. All Cdn provinces have in the past levied such taxes precisely because they couldn't be avoided by large enterprises that otherwise managed to show very low or no income and paid thus no or very low income tax.

6. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    Yes, it is a wealth tax. But looking at the link I posted, Switzerland seems to make a distinction between the "Taxe sur le Capital" (which is for capitalized companies: SA and Sarl) and "Taxe sur la Fortune" which is for people (or uncapitalised companies). Technically they are very similar.

7. carog Senior Member

England - Hampshire
    French - France
    Would you say "income tax" when the context is "imposition sur les sociétés"? I just thought that to avoid confusion with "impôt sur le revenu" the term "corporate tax" would be less ambiguous.:confused:

8. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    In BrEng "income tax" is mostly used for salaried people. The tax levied on company profits is called Corporation Tax.

So for "taux effectif d'imposition sur les bénéfices", I would say,

...the actual (real) rate of corporation tax