Teşekkürler

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by turkishlearner07, Aug 19, 2007.

1. turkishlearner07 Junior Member

Rochester (going to Uni..)
    UK & America, English
    Thıs may seem lıke a very stupid questıon to ask, but I am having some trouble in understanding the phrase of thank you.

How does teşekkür-ler break down?

What suffix is the -ler? is it just the plural form of thank, so teşekkür-ler lıterally means "thank-s." Would teşekkürler be consıdered the formal/informal, or the more polite way to say thank you (thanks) to someone verses another way.

The other ways that I have come across to express this is:
    teşekkür ederim. Thank you.

teşekkür etmek /a/ to thank (someone).

This makes more sense the the teşekkürler (thanks) because their is an auxiliary verb. So is this way more polite/ formal than the other way.

But how does this way break down? the auxilary verb of etmek in the dictionary is "to do, make." So teşekkür ederim literaly means I do thanks to you. If this is the case then shouldn't it be teşekkür-ler ederim.

2. ukuca

ukuca Senior Member

Istanbul - Turkey
    Turkish - Turkey
    - The most polite way of expressing gratitude is "teşekkür ederim". If you're thanking on behalf of a group of people you can say "teşekkür ederiz".
    - "Teşekkürler" is also polite, more familiar form of "teşekkür ederim/ederiz".
    - "Teşekkürler ederim" sounds a little bit teasing or sarcastic, I guess you can only hear that in a variety show or some like a TV show.
    - To be friendly we often use "Sağol" instead of these; it's the informal way. To thank more than one people by this way you have to say "Sağolun".

3. avok

avok Senior Member

turkish learner,

You have to learn "teşekkür etmek" etc by heart. Just think of it as a single word "teşekküretmek" then there is no need to pluralize "teşekkür".

Well, if someone thanks you more than once, you can say "bana teşekkürler etti" instead of "bana teşekkür etti" but it would just be better to say "bana bir kaç kez teşekkür etti" to mean he did thank you more than once etc.

By the way, "- etmek" etc. "etmek" looses here its literal meaning "to do" but just serves as an auxilary verb. So "teşekkür etmek" means "do thanks" just literally but in fact it merely means "to thank" but nothing else.