Te amo / te quiero

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by simone1, Sep 22, 2006.

1. simone1 Junior Member

englishUnited States

I am getting all my questions answered while i can! Is their a big difference between te quiero and te amo? Do puerto ricans use these phrases differently than mexicans?

Thank you so much
  2. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Around here, te amo is more committed, than te quiero, in the case of romantic involvements.

Te quiero is perfectly appropiate for family, friends, and lovers.
  3. Olegaria Senior Member

Spanish & Catalan
    Adding to what has been said in the previous thread.

We can say: amo a mis padres or quiero a mis padres

But, we usually say: Amo a mi pais, amo a Dios.

It is superior kind of love, more spiritual. Am I correct?

4. Angeles2 New Member

ok. the difference is TE QUIERO express a less stronger felling than love 98%. TE AMO express strongest felling. 100% is like the difference between I do love you and I love you. Do you understand? is hard to express ah ok! is like a crush and feel in love.
  5. hormiguita Senior Member

San Diego, Calif. (English)
    So "querer" is like being "in like" with someone (as opposed to being "in love")?
  6. boardslide315 Senior Member

English, USA
    Sorry, but I have to look out for my non-native friends ;)
  7. magirl25 Junior Member

I have a question, i hope someone would help me. (I don't know any spanish at all).

If i want to tell a guy i love him should i say "Te Amo" or "Te Quiero"?
    I don't see the difference, but maybe it has different meanings?

- Thank you very much, i'm new here but i think it's a great forum!
  8. Grekh

Grekh Senior Member

Chambéry, France
    Spanish, Mexico
    Te amo is the literal translation for "I love you" and it has a very strong meaning, whereas "te quiero" which is also translated into "I love you" is less strong, you can "querer" a lot more things than you can "amar".
  9. jj3118 Senior Member

New York-Philadelphia
    English y Español (Costa Rica)
    I agree with Grekh. If it is the first time you are expressing these types of feelings to him I would stick with "te quiero (mucho)"
  10. magirl25 Junior Member

Thank you very much for your answer, nice to know he has strong feelings for me:p