Te Cuidas y Cuídate

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by RustyRuff, May 15, 2008.

1. RustyRuff Senior Member

New York
    Hi all,

Can you lemme know the difference between Te Cuidas y Cuídate.

At times, my friend is messaging me as Te Cuidas and at times as Cuídate

Does this depend on moods? :rolleyes:

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance.
  2. pecosita Senior Member

Español de México
    Significa lo mismo.

CuidaTe = Te-Cuidas
  3. RustyRuff Senior Member

New York

Pero, creo que.. un poco diferente...
  4. Hartley New Member

Australia English
    Cuidate it´s imperative and te cuidas present simple but the meaning it´s the same
  5. RustyRuff Senior Member

New York

For sake, I say Te Cuidas has pleasing tone and Cuidate says you must take care.. jajajaja

Yeah Yeah.. got it.

Claro ahora y Muchas gracias :)
  6. norwegianwood Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Venezuela - Español
    I agree with what said: it's the same. If you really want to look for more differences, like Hartley said "Cuídate" is imperativo and "Te Cuidas" present simple, so one is more like an order and the other like an affermation, but here they both hold an advice kind of order meaning.

"Cuídate" = take care
    "Te cuidas" = you take care

I'm afraid this matter doesn't have to be too much analized, since they're just greetings people use both indistinctly ;)
  7. RustyRuff Senior Member

New York
    Why not, times I have to decide on my replies to my recipient...

May be, I can say Te Cuidas is informal and Cuidate is formal

Anyway, thanks for your replies.
  8. norwegianwood Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Venezuela - Español
    :warning: Not really ;) Want something formal? "Cuídese" - "Se cuida" (both refer to "usted", the formal "you")

Both Te Cuidas and Cuídate are informal, and I believe both of them have the same grade of "informalism" (informality if you prefer)

I wish I could find a relevant difference between the two of them to the point of letting you know exactly when or why to use one or the other. But I think there isn't. You could always wait and see if there are other comments about this.
  9. Zeli Senior Member

UK English
    What about te cuides as in "(quiero/espero que) te cuides"?
  10. norwegianwood Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Venezuela - Español
    About that , Zeli, as a subjunctive it is required to include another verb before. If you're going to use "te cuides", you must express "Quiero que/espero que/deseo que/etc. (...) te cuides"

"Te cuides" alone is incorrect ;)
  11. Zeli Senior Member

UK English
    Yes, thank you for that, but I often hear expressions like ¡Que mejores! or "Que lo pases bien", so are they correct with just que before the verb?
  12. norwegianwood Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Venezuela - Español
    Yes, Que (te) mejores! ¡Que lo pases bien! ¡Que no te pase nada! ¡Que lo disfrutes! ¡Que te parta un rayo!

... They are correct, perhaps you could open a new thread and wait for the full grammatical explanations (since I'm not very good at it) ;) However you can tell if you weren't using "que", it would be same story as in "te cuides"; "te mejores" "te lo pases bien" etc. by themselves are incomplete. I hope I'm not confusing too much.
  13. makeda Junior Member

Español España

We use "cuidate" not exactly as an imperative, but as a desire of wellness. For example when you say goodbye you can add "cuidate" as take care or if you see somebody has a cold, it's kind to say "cuidate"

"te cuidas" is just an affirmative expresion, you are already taking care of yourself.
  14. javier8907 Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    Seemingly, people in Latin America use them indistinctly, but here in Spain, only "cuídate" would be used as a greeting, or as a kind thing to say -like English "take care", never "te cuidas". This one we might say to somebody who looks younger than their age, or is in good shape, in a sentence such as "Tú te cuidas.", "Te cuidas bastante." or "Te cuidas, ¿eh?" (you do take care).

You wouldn't say "que te cuides", as taking care is something only you can do for yourself, whereas you would say "que te cuiden", "que te mejores" or, as somebody said, "que te parta un rayo". This structure expresses a wish.

(But you could say "Espero + que te cuides", as well as the other three.)

I would say none of them is formal. Would you end a letter like this: "I look forward to hearing from you. Take care..." in English? I mean, it's not something you'd say to someone you aren't friends with, is it?

I hope to throw some light on the question.
  15. flljob

flljob Senior Member

México español
    Una pregunta para todos. Te cuidas ¿no tiene un sentido futuro?
    Por ejemplo: cuando vayas allá le entregas este paquete a X.
    Cuando vayas a Sinalola, te cuidas.
  16. Liralen42 Senior Member

Chicago, US- English
    Hello everyone!

Zeli asked if te cuides is a possibility? I am wondering if people use it even though it is grammatically-speaking incorrect because I feel as though I have heard it before but perhaps I have heard wrong. What do you think?

Best wishes!
  17. manxo Senior Member

Galego y Castellano de España
    Es un localismo en algunas zonas del centro peninsular que se considera vulgar. Recordad el 23 F: ¡Se sienten!
  18. Liralen42 Senior Member

Chicago, US- English
    Se lo agredezco Manxo para aclararlo! Y no sabía (había sabido?) acerda del 23F! Muchas gracias para la información!