te extraño mucho mi amor

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by eolhc, Feb 15, 2009.

1. eolhc Junior Member

English - USA
    I just met a guy from Honduras and he sent me this email...
    te extrano mucho mi amor y deseo verte pronto dios te bendiga tu mente y tu corazon.
    He speaks very little English but on the phone he says "I love you" and then tries to make me say it back by saying "Do you love me?"

My question......is this the normal pace for a relationship in Spanish-speaking cultures?? I'm a little freaked out because we met about a month ago and we haven't even gone out yet but he's already said I love you! Those words still hold the same meaning when said from a guy to a girl in Spanish as they do in English right?
  2. madredecuatro

madredecuatro Senior Member

Latin Americans are very romantic speaking. Don't panic! The message means I miss you my love and wish to see you soon, God bless your mind and your heart.
  3. Xinito Senior Member

San Diego, CA
    Madrede4, ya sabes que también en España sois más o menos así también, ¿no? =)

Conocí a una tía roteña y después de 3 citas, me había enviado un mensajito por SMS y terminó con TQ... =)
  4. lisa82 Junior Member

Bern, Switzerland
    french / spanish
    There is a big difference in spanish between "querer" and "amar", that are both translated in english as "to love".
    Usually you "quiere" your friends and "ama" your boy/girlfriend.
    But, in some regions of south America, people use the verb "amar" mucho more easily. For ex, some friend of yours made something really amazing for you and you're so thankful that you can tell him "te amo" while you show your joy.
    So, "to love" doesn't show the different "levels" of love you have in spanish.
  5. eolhc Junior Member

English - USA
    So...Every time he asks me in English if I love him, what can I say? He's made it obvious that he likes me romantically, and I feel the same way, but the English I love you is too strong....what's the Spanish equivalent for how i feel now? me gustas?
  6. lisa82 Junior Member

Bern, Switzerland
    french / spanish
    You use "me gustas" when you feel physically attracted to someone.
    If you don't have really strong feelings for the moment you can just say "te aprecio" (I appreciate you). And if he asks you if you love him, you can just answer "te aprecio". No missunderstandings then.
    But, if you do have some feelings you can just say "te quiero".
  7. Xinito Senior Member

San Diego, CA
    Or you can "cop out" and just say "y yo a ti" without saying the L word. Jejeje.

Like we say in English... "uh.... me too"
  8. eolhc Junior Member

English - USA
    Thank you everyone!! My friends are all telling me that he's "weird" and "immature" since we just met and everything, so now I can explain to them its a cultural thing. Hard to get used to, but its a relief to know he's not crazy after all :)
  9. gongorac

gongorac Senior Member

United States
    Castellano - Bolivia

It's not a cultural thing to me. I think everyone in this planet can't say "I love you" to somebody you just met. Maybe that happens in teenagers but in adults that is definitely 'crazy'.

My mother tongue is Spanish and I always miss the phrase "Te quiero", in English, which means that you feel something for someone. Now when you say "Te amo" (I love you), then you have to be really feeling ALL for the other person.

There is not a translation for "Te quiero" and that makes things more difficult in English when you have to say that you care for someone but not as deeply as when you say "Te amo" or "I love you".

I you feel something for this person you just met say "Te quiero", do not use "Te aprecio" because that word is used for more formal or written comunications.

What other languages problems are you having for this person that you just met? :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. kamikaze03 Junior Member

Miami FL USA
    Spanish, English
    I can tell you because I live in Nicaragua for 5 years and Central American people (that include Honduras too) use a lot the word I love you (mi amor). I remember that in my first days I went to a supermarket there, to buy something and I ask for a price and one lady told me "eso cuesta 20 cordovas mi amor" I said to myself.... holly cow.. What is this? (By the way she was quite beautiful) and in the next weeks I discover that they use that expression very commonly in life as a sing of attention or kindest. Good luck with your Honduran friend. ^_~
  11. Cabeza tuna

Cabeza tuna Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Chilean Spanish & Chilean Coa

That is true, for example I use I love you all time, how you say it makes the difference, I love it! or I love you!! (when you do me a favor), and I am not the only one than use it in this way.
  12. eolhc Junior Member

English - USA
    Well, I can understand most of what he says...but he understands only a little of what I tell him in English. The biggest problem is that I'm too afraid to use Spanish with him because it probably sounds awful coming out of my mouth :eek:.

So just to clarify, you would be a little weirded out if someone said te amo within a week of meeting you, but things would be fine if they said te quiero ?
  13. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob mod or rocker?

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    I'm reading a lot of opinions. I'd definitely be weirded out. As you said above —talking about "I love you"— "te amo" is a really strong expression. I think I've used that expression three or four times in my entire life (when I've been really in love). If you like this fellow, you can use "me gustas", and if you really like him, if you feel something when you look at him, you can say "en verdad, me gustas mucho" or even "me encantas". But if you don't feel love towards him at this very moment, you don't have to say "I love you" —neither "me too" ("yo también") if he says "I love you".

Now, if you describe a situation in which two persons are living a "love at first sight" circumstance, well, then I wouldn't be weirded out if one of them says to the other "I love you".

Good luck!
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. Judica Senior Member

East Coast, US
    AE (US), Spanish (LatAm)
    Go ahead and hurt his ears with bad Spanish for a while, its the best way you can learn the good Spanish. :)

I would consider "te amo" weird but not "te quiero".

Saying, what estadunidense consider to be, "I love you", differs from region to region in Latin America.

Most here agree that saying, "Te amo", is strong equating to the true sense of the English, "I'm in love you" / "I love you".

"Te quiero", is more like you telling a boyfriend or girlfriend that you really like him or her. It is also used a lot between best friends.
  15. SevenDays Senior Member

I don’t think it hurts to listen to your inner voice, or your friends; they usually have a good instinct about these things.
    I guess the point is to find out what your friend really means by “I love you.” Maybe a test is in order. When you talk to him, and he says in English “I love you,” just answer in Spanish, "en verdad te tengo mucho aprecio," “te quiero,” or “Sí, yo también yo quiero,” etc. If that makes him happy, then you know he means the general sense of “te quiero.” If, however, he insists, “but, do you love me?” then that should give you a good indication he likely means “I love you” in the stronger sense of “te amo.”

Anyway, just my two cents
  16. eolhc Junior Member

English - USA
    Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate your help :)
  17. DespertarEsMorir New Member

Atlanta, GA
    American English
    Te quiero is the term to say I love you to your family/friends or the step before te amo. You could also say te quiero mucho or te deseo (in Colombian Spanish, anyways. But, of course, each country has its own meaning of every phrase.)

kamikaze, in the American South, people say, 'my love' or 'love' tambien, to just about anyone like 'thank you, love,' and it's a harmless phrase.

In the end, I suppose, it's how you say it. (English 'I love' can be encantar, amar, or querer in Spanish). Saying 'I love you' to someone who did you a favor versus 'I love you' to your boyfriend/girlfriend has a different tone behind it.
  18. kamikaze03 Junior Member

Miami FL USA
    Spanish, English
    jejej Well I am from the Caribbean area and if in the Caribbean you say: “I love you”… that means sexual connotations
  19. DespertarEsMorir New Member

Atlanta, GA
    American English
    haha. well, the south is a little different.....