te extraño y te quiero

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by ljn, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ljn New Member

USA english
    Te extrano y yo querio

2. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    This means nothing in Spanish. "Yo querio" means nothing in Spanish.

It should be "te extraño y te quiero", and then the translation would be "I miss you and I love you"

3. lafert Senior Member

at the edge
    Spanish Uruguay
    I miss you and love you
    but
    the 2nd part is misspelled
    should be
    te quiero, or yo te quiero

4. atlantabutterfly New Member

Atlanta
    USA, English
    Hola,

I would like to know what the rule is for using the word "quiero" versus "amor" for love. In other words, I thought "l love you" in Spanish was "te amo." when should you use "te amo" and when should you use "yo quiero"? I know you also use "yo quiero" when you want to say "I want..." (like when ordering food).

muchas gracias por tu ayuda,
    atlanta butterfly

5. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    It's all a question of which country you're speaking about. In speaking Spanish countries in America they say "te amo", in Spain we say "te quiero" but it means the same "I love you".
    In America they use the verb "amar", in Spain we use the verb "querer".

In Spain we don't say "te extraño" but "te echo de menos".

6. Maya2805 Junior Member

Toronto, Canada
    Polish, living in Canada
    I was wondering the same thing... guerer means "to love" and "to want" and "to like", right?
    So "I love you" and "I want you" would be "te quiero"?

7. laura1110 Junior Member

US/Mexico
    English/USA
    yes, you're correct, te quiero can mean both i want you and i love you. however, te amo is the obvious alternative if you are talking about romantic (or perhaps parental) love. i think spanish is fortunate in that it makes a distinction between amar and querer. if you are undoubtedly physically desireous of someone, you could say te deseo, i spos (altho i like te quiero better. :eek:)

8. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    In Spain "te quiero" means "I love you", both for romantic love and parental love. We never say "te amo".

9. atlantabutterfly New Member

Atlanta
    USA, English
    ok, so what would you say to a friend that you love (not romantic, just a platonic friend)? i think "te amo" only because for some (silly) reason, "yo quiero" sounds more romantic to me! don't laugh.

10. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain-Spanish
    También se puede decir te quiero. Es lo que decimos a nuestros padres, y no es ningún amor romántico. Estoy hablando siempre desde el punto de vista de España. En otros países es de otra manera.

11. atlantabutterfly New Member

Atlanta
    USA, English
    muchas gracias a todos re: yo quiero y te amo.

12. lafert Senior Member

at the edge
    Spanish Uruguay
    te amo is too committed
    that´s why we prefer te quiero
    good for friends, even for more intimate relationships