Te quiero, Buenas noches mi cariño, ha encantado

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by muzza666, Nov 2, 2007.

1. muzza666 New Member

australia, english
    hello just would like to get some help putting these phrases into context, have seen a few translations but some are mixed in there definitions and sentence structure. this is from a friend(female) of mine, dont want to get the wrong end of the stick so to speak so would like to know what you guys think in regards to context meaning etc. any help would be great thank you. glen
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Te quiero, I love (or possibly, like) you
    Buenas noches mi cariño,
    Good night, my dear
    ha encantado (
    you, formal) have charmed (me)
  3. Meleros

Meleros Senior Member

Español - Sevilla, España
    Well, regarding to, buenas noches mi cariño, the correct way is Buenas noches, cariño mío or Buenas noches, mi amor, which means what cyberpedant said.

And, regarding to ha encantado I think it's bad written and I don't know if you are saying Me ha encantado (I've loved it) or encantado (nice to meet you).
  4. Nora Gale

Nora Gale Senior Member

Spanish / Spain
    I agree with cyberpedant and Meleros. Though I'd like to add some comments. The first sentence means unmistakably 'I love you'. Querer is much stronger than just 'like'. The second sentence could be translated as 'Good night, my darling' too. It express a clear affection, anyway. However, there must be something missing in the third sentence, because 'ha encantado' doesn't make much sense (we need a subject and an object there). 'Encantar' means charm, as cyberpendant rightly points, but it means 'to like a lot' too. So if I wanted to tell someone that he has charmed me, I'd say 'Me has hechizado' rather than 'Me has encantado', which could mean 'I've just met you and I like you a lot'. However, when you meet someone, you use 'Encantado de conocerte' o 'Me ha encantado conocerte', meaning 'Pleased to meet you'. To sump up, and despite the problems posed by the last sentence, there's no doubt whatsoever that she's in the mood for love. Anyway, I wouldn't say that to a casual friend!