Teaching Fruits and Vegetables in Portuguese Materials

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by xxb, Nov 30, 2013.

1. xxb Member

Dear all,

I’d like to point out one issue in Portuguese teaching materials and ask about it. Why fruits and vegetables are always introduced with their singular forms in Portuguese teaching materials? Have you ever seen a Portuguese language material that introduces fruits and vegetables with their plurals?

For example when we look at an English teaching book, it is possible to see both singular and plural examples. In such languages (English,German,Spanish etc.) some teaching materials prefer to show only one number of fruits/vegetables therefore name them with singulars by denoting the kind, whereas some of them prefer at least showing a pair of fruits/vegetables therefore name them with plurals. I know that there is distinction between countable and uncountable nouns in Portuguese as we can see in English, German, Spanish etc. So, it is grammatically correct to name objects with plurals if there are at least two of them.

Think about a Portuguese teaching book where there is a section that introduces fruits and vegetables. In that section, think about pictures of apples, pears, peaches etc. and named as “maças”, “peras” and “pessegos” etc. Is it possible to see such section? I’ve never seen such examples when I checked books and internet materials (they were at least 7 different resources that introduce fruit and vegetables with singulars). Have you ever seen such plural teaching? Is there a pedagogic decision to teach Portuguese in this way with singulars?

I know that singular form is widely preferred to name/tag fruits and vegetables in marketplace in Portuguese language. However, it is surprising not to see any plural examples in teaching materials which approach language in a broad sense not as in marketplace.

As a person who is interested in languages, I thought that you as native speakers some of which are Portuguese teachers can give me some more points. That’s simply all for my question. Your answers will be appreciated, thank you so much!
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    I don't see the point in teaching any word using its plural. The base word is the singular. If you need the plural, in most of the cases, you have to add a "s" at the end.
    I don't know how the foreign teaching materials are organized but I think there is a good logic in teaching the names of the things first and then their flexions, variations, etc.
  3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    The Portuguese language is taught this way: children learn single words - in singular - then they learn the general rule for plural: just put an s in the end of the words. As they grow up they are taught the exceptions to the s rule.
  4. xxb Member

Thank you all for the replies. I know that for any language for any words, singular is taught it's something very logical. Because we see words in singular form when we look at the dictionary. However, I'm talking about just fruits and vegetables. Think about a page where there are pictures of apples, oranges and carrots named with plurals, isn't it possible to see such page/section in any Portuguese teaching material? Can we say that there is a custom/rule to teach fruits and vegetables in Portuguese with singulars? For example, in Spanish and English books there are many examples with plurals.
  5. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    WEll, we have discussed this very issue in another thread. I'll link to it.