1. 13partners23

13partners23 Senior Member

Queens, NY

Is there a more typical or more common way to say "Telephone number" in Latin American spanish?

Or would a person really use "Número de teléfono" when asking for someone's phone number?

Thank you.
  2. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    In Spain, typically people don't say "número de", so the whole thing is reduced to "teléfono"... as in "dame tu teléfono" = give me your telephone number.

I'm not sure if this also applies to LatAm spanish...
  3. Alberjob Junior Member

Spanish - Venezuela
    It is also used like that here in latin america, well at least here in Venezuela. You can also say, dame tu número, of course, it sounds quite informal.

Another way to say número de teléfono is número telefónico.

Hope it helps :)
  4. María Madrid

María Madrid Banned

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    Both "tu número" or "tu teléfono" are commonly used here. You can also say "tu fijo" (landline) or "tu móvil" (cellular) if you want to be more specific but "tu número de teléfono" is also common, we don't normally use "número telefónico". Saludos, :)
  5. Alberjob Junior Member

Spanish - Venezuela
    Yes, María is right, numero telefónico sounds very formal. If it is a cell phone you can also say tu celular. Saludos.
  6. yaslisha New Member

well, it depends to who you are talking,
    if the person is for example someone older than you and you want her/his number for business reasons, you can tell her/him : Por favor ¿me podria dar su numero telefonico?.
    But, you are talking with some guy or woman flirting, is more common say : ¿Me das tu numero?
    in Latin America we don't use to complete ''numero de telefono'' cuz is more than obvious.
    Other way, is just : '' numero de cel''