Tell to me / Tell me / Talk to me

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by cucurrucu999, Nov 13, 2006.

1. cucurrucu999 New Member

Spanish, Spain
    Hi everybody,

Would anybody explain to me which of the following sentence is correct? Because i'm not sure if i have to use or not the form "T0"

Can you tell me that? or Can you tell to me that?

Tell me that or Tell to me that?
    Give me that or Give to me that?

As i told you i don't know how to use "To" in those cases.

Thanks for your time guys!

2. itxaro Junior Member

UK English
    Hola. Siento no poder ayudar con la explicación gramatical (seguro que alguien más lo podrá hacer), pero sólo decirte que las frases con "to" no son correctas. O sea:

Tell me that :tick: Tell to me that :cross:
    Give me that :tick: Give to me that :cross:

Aunque, por otro lado, sin cambias un poco el orden de las palabras:

Tell that to me y Give that to me son correctas (aunque la primera me suena un poco rara).

3. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Si el objeto directo se pone después del verbo, se usa 'to' antes del pronombre: 'Give the book to me'

Si el objeto directo se pone al final de la frase, no se usa 'to': 'Give me the book'

Ambas frases significan exactamente lo mismo.
    ;)

4. franglaiise Senior Member

slovaque
    Hello,

I read in an article that you cannot say "Tell it to me" and that you have to say just "Tell me" instead. I know that you normally say just "Tell me/you/him etc." in situations like the following one:

A: Do you know who got the role?
    B: Yes. But I can't tell you. It's a secret.
    A: Oh, come on, tell me!

And yet, “tell it to me” or “tell it to you” doesn't sound wrong to me.

5. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    Or said another way, when you have a direct object and an indirect object, the word order is verb + IO + DO (give me the book). A prepositional phrase is often used instead of an indirect object, and in that case the word order is verb + DO + prepositional phrase (give the book to me).

"Tell me" sounds more natural to me, but you can also say "tell it to me." The difference is that "tell it to me" means "tell me the secret (it)", whereas "tell me" means "tell me who got the role." The both mean the same thing, but when you use "it," the antecedent is "secret" whereas in the other version there is no pronoun/antecedent relationship.

6. maikelfantas New Member

spanish
    This is a very interesting thread about reporting verbs. But what about: "I always tell you what my parents tell to me" Is it with or without to? Thanks

7. macame

macame Senior Member

Half a mile to heaven
    Spanish & Galician
    Without to.
    Didn't you read the previous posts?

8. maikelfantas New Member

spanish

Of course I did, but still sounds weird to me. Maybe too many times using some expressions in a wrong way. Sorry for bothering you.

9. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    Like FromPa said, you can say "tell it to me" when you have established about something that you are talking about, like a secret or whatever. Else, you have to say "tell me"