tell whoever you like.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sky753, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sky753 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello Eeveryone,

Is there any problems with the sentence-Tell whoever you like-it makes no differences to me.

(This senence is from a online English tests. It is originally a mutipl choices as follows:)

Tell _____ you like---it makes no differences to me. (according to the one who posted it, the right one should be whoever.)
    A. what B. which C. whoever

I feel there are two problems with the question. First, "me" is omitted here. It should be "Tell me...". Second, it seems to me that the sentence doesn't make any sense.

Waiting for your comments.

Regards

Sky

2. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Tell whoever you like is the right answer.;) The sentence makes perfect sense: it means 'say what you want to say to anybody of your choice'. I fail to understand why you think there should be a 'me' in there somewhere.;)

3. sky753 Senior Member

Chinese
    got it now. Thank you!!!

4. kayve Senior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    Wouldn't the "difference" normally be in singular in such context? - it makes no difference to me

5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Quite right: I hadn't noticed that mistake.:)

6. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Yes. "It makes no difference to me." :tick: "It makes no differences to me." :cross:

7. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    I would say "Tell whomever you like," but "whom" has fallen into disuse, so "whoever" is not really wrong.

8. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Put it this way: it has been made right by usage.:)

And actually, I'd use whomsoever rather than whomever (personal taste...), but in any case if I did use it my tone would be extremely sarcastic.;)