1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Telling the time in Polish

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by LilianaB, Jan 20, 2013.

1. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Hi. A question in another thread has inspired my question. I was really surprised that such forms of telling the time as 13:50 pięćdziesiąt po trzynastej or 15:40 czterdziesci po piętnastej are acceptable these days. Is it really true? Can you say: Jest czterdziesci po piętnastej. It is something totally new to me, if this is really true.

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hi Liliana,
    this is new to me too.

I'd say:
    13:50 -- trzynasta/pierwsza pięćdziesiąt; za dziesięć druga (I think you may also hear za dziesięć czternasta on some rare occasions)
    15:40 -- piętnasta/trzecia czterdzieści; za dwadzieścia czwarta (za dwadzieścia szesnasta, the same as the above)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Thank you. This is what I thought.

4. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    I've heard people speak like that but to me it sounds odd.

5. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I think there's no way of telling whether it is acceptable or not. There's nothing wrong with it in grammatical terms. It's just that it sounds odd. I don't think we normally use the '.... po ....." pattern for numbers greater than '29'.

Dwadzieścia dziewięć po czternastej would sound entirely natural to me, which can't be said for 'trzydzieści po...' (for that I'd use 'w pół do') and higher.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. tengounaduda New Member

España
    polski
    Hola, both above mentioned examples are OK. Actually, you may hear them very frequently in conversations, on TV or radio. It sounds OK, except one point. I believe it isn´t used for a range of time between a full hour and an hour and half (12:01 - 12:30). You mau say:
    za dziesięć druga - for 13:50
    za dwadzieścia czwarta - for 15:40
    za dwadzieścia pięć czwarta - for 15:35

even, but not very likely, as this really sounds strange... za dwadzieścia siedem/osiem/dziewięć czwarta 15:33/15:32/15:31

for anything around half past... you will rather say: dwie/trzy/cztery po wpół do czwartej - 15:32/15:33/15:34

7. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    When it comes to telling the time, regardless in which language, I always round the "irregular" ones off to 15:05, 15:10, 15:15, 15:20 and so on and so forth; unless, of course, it's essential to provide the time exactly as it is.

8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    It would seem that there are no rigid rules governing telling the time in Polish, and we go about that all we like :D

I can't really imagine myself saying that, it sounds very media-like. I'd simply say Piętnasta trzydzieści dwa and so on.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I agree with most of the methods of telling time in Polish -- I just think forty six after sixteen-- czterdziesci sześć minut po szesnastej sounds a little weird. It was definitely not the atandard before (some years ago) and nobody spoke like that. I was just wondering if it was something new, or plain wrong -- this particular construction (including po and a number bigger than 29).

10. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hi, Liliana

I don't think there exists a rule that says it's incorrect to say that. The construction is readily understandable and grammatically correct, it's just that it sounds a tiny bit weird -- but that alone does not render it incorrect, I think.

11. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Technically it might not be wrong, but I think this way of telling the time isn't standard Polish.