1. catj Junior Member

Madrid
    English - Scotland
    I recently came across this phrase in the context of someone struggling, and failing, to organise a group of people to meet up. They said "Parece que no tengo mucho tirón", or something like that. I think I understand more or less the gist of the phrase, but my questions is: How would be say that in English? I don't think I've got much pull??? Thanks!

2. biomouse

biomouse Senior Member

Castilla
    Spain Spanish
    My attempt ¿followers?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Argentina
    castellano
    Hola:

Maybe charisma, personal appeal.

4. roanheads Senior Member

Scotland, english
    Hi,
    In this context, perhaps " force of persuasion "

5. Choni Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish (Spain)
    I’d say in this case: “parece que no tengo mucho éxito”. That is to say, you’ve been not very successful in organizing the group, maybe you could say it using success or successful.

6. Ulises Belano Senior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Parece que no tengo mucho tirón, es similar a cuando en Chile decimos: no tengo mucho arrastre. O no tiene mucho arrastre, etc. Que se refiere a cuando alguien no tiene éxito en algo debido a que no tiene capacidad de convocatoria o capacidad para convencer a otros. Por ejemplo, un cantante puede que no tenga mucho arrastre, es decir, pocas personas compran sus discos o van a sus recitales. O alguien tal vez no tenga arrastre con las mujeres, en ese caso significa que no le va bien con las mujeres.

7. catj Junior Member

Madrid
    English - Scotland
    Ok, thanks! I just thought of another way to translate it - how about using the phrase 'powers of persuasion'?

8. Ulises Belano Senior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Yes, that phrase (powers of persuasion) is very correct as a way to translate "tener tirón" o "tener arrastre". Barak Obama, por ejemplo, tiene tirón con la gente, tiene arrastre con la gente, es decir, "power of persuasion", "charisma".

9. roanheads Senior Member

Scotland, english
    Sounds good !

10. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    "Pull" is literal, but works here. A political candidate with "tirón electoral" would be called an "attractive candidate". However, I think "appeal" is the best general term. I agree with both Boch and roanheads.
    Or "power of persuasion".

11. tazx

tazx Senior Member

Nederland
    España, español
    Tener tirón

I reopen this old thread for the meaning of the same expression in slightly different context:
    When it is not referred to people but to products or trends, what would be the equivalent?
    By instance:

La electrónica de consumo tiene mucho tirón entre los jóvenes

Gracias y saludos

12. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Electronic consumer goods appeal to the young in particular.
    Electronic consumer goods are a big draw among the young.
    Electronic consumer goods draw in/attract a lot of young customers.

13. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Another option:

Electronic consumer goods have really caught on among young people.