teneris scientia horum civium omnium

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by William Stein, Aug 28, 2013.

1. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    This is a quote from Cicero, simplified by Wheelock (not simplified enough for me, apparenently):

Consilia sunt clara nobis; teneris scientia horum civium omnium

[Your] plans are clear to us; "you are held by the knowledge" of all those cities = you are know to all those cities?

2. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    You seem to be mixing up civis and civitas​.

3. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    Okay, thanks, but what about "teneris scientia"... "you are known to all those citizens?"

4. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

English
    Cicero is obviously addressing Catiline here: you are being held by the knowledge of all these citizens (present at the senate) simply means he(Catiline) has been found out/found guilty of treason.

5. William Stein Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    American English
    I thought it was probably from the "Catiline Orations" too. I had to read a translation of that book in a literature class and it gave me the impression that Cicero was an extreremly tiresome, vindictive old windbag, but it's true he comes across nicer in De Amicitia. In any case, it's funny Wheelock would choose such a context-dependent sentence for an exercise for beginners completely out of context (although his book is usually taught by a professor in a classroom, while I'm dependent on you experts for help :).

6. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

English
    I do agree with you that Wheelock might have chosen less context-dependent sentences because this sentence does sound a bit weird on its own.:)