Tengo la nariz tapada

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by globorojo, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Tengo la naríz tapada

My try ; I have my nose stuffed up

2. stallion Senior Member

Arizona, EUA
    My nose is stopped-up or congested
  3. pubman Senior Member

My nose is bunged up or my nose is stuffed up or my nose is blocked
  4. teatom

teatom Senior Member

Bogota Colombia
    German, fluent in English and Spanish
    Ojo,Ojo,Ojo. Tambien este es uno de las falsas hermanas, o false cognates: constipated del English es: estreñido, y constipado: I have stuffy (not stuffed up...) nose or: a bad (head)flu.
    See you!
  5. But, if I want to say only that "tengo la nariz tapada" but maybe is not because I have flu, mayby of another thing. So now I'm a little confused.
    What do I say now? ja
  6. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

:tick: I would also use one of these expressions.
  7. pubman Senior Member

teatom's answer is confusing, You cannot say I have stuffy nose {I have a stuffy nose} 'a bad flu' does not make sense. you could say 'a bad dose of the flu'
  8. StudentDavid New Member

I have a bloked nose, my nose is blocked
  9. aommoa Senior Member

tambien puede significar que no te quieres enterar de lo que sucede o que lo haces en contra de tus deseos porque no hay otra posivilidad
  10. moose162 Senior Member

American English / Inglés Americano
    My nose is stuffy.
  11. Sprache Senior Member

United States
    I would say that this is the most common way to say it around here. Either that or I have a stuffy nose. I've never heard bunged up before and admittedly it sounds pretty funny to me.
  12. StudentDavid New Member

13. pubman Senior Member

I presume 'a bunged up nose' is probably confined to BE. It would be a perfectly normal thing to say even if you were visiting a doctor.
    I agree with Sprache that it does sound a bit funny. Pero, es verdad
  14. Please can you explain me what does the comas mean?
    I presume( 'a) nose'
    Thank you ever so much
  15. pubman Senior Member

Please can you explain to me what do the comma's mean?
    A comma =,

A quotation mark ='
    A quotation mark is commonly used, as in this example to mark out idiomatic expressions.
  16. Sorry,I don't want to be tedious, but can you translate to me your sentence? becasue I don't know exactly what do you mean.
    ''A quotation mark is commonly used, as in this example to mark out idiomatic expressions.''

Thank you ever so much
  17. pubman Senior Member

You're not being tedious, we are all learning. To mark out [point out] [to indicate] [to highlight] a slang term or colloquialism.
    He has a broken leg
    He has a 'well dodgy' leg.
    Has this helped?
    Perhaps a grammarian could join this thread and explain it better. If not, and you require further clarification,please don't hesitate to contact me
  18. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

, = a comma
    ' = an inverted comma / single quotation mark
    " = (double) quotation marks.

Normalmente, utilizamos 'inverted commas / single quotation marks' y no 'double quotation marks' dentro de una frase para subrayar/destacar una(s) palabra(s)/ una expression. íLo he hecho yo en esta frase con varias palabras!

I'm sure it was accidental - I do such things myself all the time - but for the sake of clarity, I thought I had better correct the following 'correction':
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  19. pubman Senior Member

Oh prof, now I'm even more confused. I thought ["]. was used to to quote direct speech. Is the inverted comma commonly becoming more and more misused as I am coming across it more and more. Also I have seen it referred to as a quotation mark [singular]. Sorry to be a pain but can you clarify it for me in English
  20. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Sorry, Pubman - I didn't mean to confuse you! In actual fact, I am a bit confused myself now. :eek:

Noticing that Globorojo used what I think of quotation marks (") in the last question, whereas you had used what I think of as an inverted comma ('), I thought - rightly or wrongly - that this use of inverted commas might be what was confusing him.

Of course, I was totally overlooking the fact that both of these names are sometimes applied to either punctuation mark, with the words 'double' or 'single' added for clarification. Add to that the fact that I worded my answer in Spanish quite badly, and I seem to have ended up causing even more confusion! :eek:

I will go back and edit my previous (Spanish) post and please tell me if it makes more sense this time. :)