Tenho saudades de ti!

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Tigrao, May 28, 2006.

1. Tigrao New Member

South Florida
    USA, English
    Boa noite!
    Can you please help me with this phrase? I'm having difficulty with the past and present tenses, and believe it should be "Eu tinha muito saudedes de voce." Should this use the "preterito perfeito" tense?

2. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    I'd translated it as "Eu tenho tido muita falta de ti." or "Eu tenho tido muitas saudades de ti."

There's a reason about what tense use, butI'm tired and with a lot of stuff on my mind right now... sorry... someone will explain it to you, be sure of that!
  3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    You can also say: Sinto tanta saudade de você. This is the most used
    or even Sinto tanta saudade de ti, depending on where you live.
  4. Robinvn

Robinvn Senior Member

In Dublin fair city
    Dutch, Belgium
    I'm a bit confused because I thought the use of the past tenses was a bit different... I would translate like this:

I have missed you so much: Tive tantas saudades de você
    (I think that this would be said when two people meet again after having spent some time apart)

I have been missing you so much: Tenho tido tantas saudades de você
    (It began in the past and it will go on in the future)

I missed you: Tinha saudades de você
    (meaning: I thought about you very often and I missed you at these moments)

Since the post was mainly about the past tenses, I hope that somebody can correct me if I'm wrong...
  5. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    About the suggestions I've made, I'm not translating to Portuguese according to tenses relations. I implied the usage of the the expression. Independently of tenses we say : Sinto muitas saudades de você, and this implies I missed you in the past and I continue to miss you in the present. Very seldom you'll listen to a person saying: tenho tido saudades de você. :)
    In this case of the present perfect - an action that began in the past and continues in the present - we prefer using it with the present tense.
    Ex.: I have lived here for 12 years. In Pt I say: Moro aqui há 12 anos. Just a matter of usage.
  6. Robinvn

Robinvn Senior Member

In Dublin fair city
    Dutch, Belgium
    As diferenças entre o português teórico e o português vivo né:)
    Obrigado pela explicação!
  7. Tigrao New Member

South Florida
    USA, English
    "Muito obrigado!" to everyone for your very helpful responses.
  8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    You could say either "tenho sentido muitas saudades de você", or "senti muitas saudades de você". It depends on the context.
  9. mujeriego Junior Member

Hey guys,

What does "Tenho saudades de ti!" mean?

It's from a girl I made out with.

10. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I've been missing you.
  11. Ruborn New Member

Actually it's "I miss you". If it was "Eu tenho tido saudades tuas", "I've been missing you" would be correct.