Tense: Which of the following is true?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wangqh2696122, Jan 26, 2013.

1. wangqh2696122 Senior Member

Chinese
    Mum told us to hurry up to take pictures with Santa Claus. I thought we took photos with him last weekend. Why would we be going there again.
    Mum told us to hurry up to take pictures with Santa Claus. I thought we had taken photos with him last weekend. Why would we be going there again.
    Mum told us to hurry up to take pictures with Santa Claus. I thought we had taken photos with him the weekend before. Why would we be going there again.

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
  3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Also please tell us when Mum said this (today? last week? last year?).

4. wangqh2696122 Senior Member

Chinese
    Mum said this last year. I feel No.1 and No. 3 are correct.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Thank you. In that case, I would choose only No. 3. Since Mum said this last year, you need the past perfect in referring to the prior weekend. Also "last weekend" still sounds like, well, last weekend rather than last year. So the past perfect and "the weekend before" are both necessary. And your final sentence is a question, so it needs a question mark rather than a period.

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I'm perplexed. If 'Mum said this last year', then I don't see how any of the follow-ups in red make sense.

7. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Hullo, Beryl.

Perhaps #3 could be acceptable:

(Last year) Mum told us to hurry up to take pictures with Santa Claus. (When she said that, last year) I thought we had taken photos with him the weekend before
    (the moment she told us).

What's your impression?
    GS

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Yes, that makes perfect sense, and viewed through that lens, is the only one (of the three) that makes sense. (not sure why I found that such a struggle :rolleyes: )