1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Teoría de la imagen

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by NAS92, Oct 29, 2011.

1. NAS92 Junior Member

English - Ireland
    Buenos días a todos,

Necesito ayuda en traduciendo esta frase siguiente:

'el profesorado es muy bueno dando Teoría de la Imagen, pero forma alumnos que durante cinco años sólo leen'.

I thought: the teaching staff are very good at giving Theory of an image/picture, but only setting students up for 5 years of reading.'

Gracias a todos.

2. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    The teaching staff are very good at presenting the Theory of the Image, but train students who do nothing other than read for 5 the next years.'

3. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  4. trafernolio Junior Member

Argentinian Spanish
    Hi!

"Profesorado" is not the same as "teachers staff", that would be "grupo de profesores". Instead, "Profesorado" is the career that should be studied to became a teacher. The meaning of the sentence is somthing like this: "Contents of the career in Theory of Image are good, but students are trained on reading during five years". It's trying to point out that theory education is very good, but the same can't be said about practical education.

Hope it helps!

Traf.

5. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    I imagine this varies by region. Both DRAE and Moliner give "Conjunto o cuerpo de profesores de un centro de enseñanza."

6. tr123 Senior Member

English-Ireland
    Hola,

Can someone please help me with the translation of the following sentence,

"Carols Iriat va más allá y precisa que el profesorado "es muy bueno dando Teoría de la Imagen, pero forma alumnos que durante cinco años sólo leen""

So far this is what i have:

Carlos Iriat goes even further and specifies that the teaching staff "are very good at ??? but it only creates students who during their five years do nothing but read"

Gracias!

7. udogi

udogi Senior Member

Murcia, Spain
    Español - España
    Teoría de la imagen: a subject from (probably) a Fine Arts degree. It's about knowledge and theories related to images and visual concepts, such as the point, the line, colour, light...

8. tr123 Senior Member

English-Ireland
    OK thanks, so would it be OK to say ...is good at teaching the theory of the image but this creates students who over the period of five years do nothing but read?

9. udogi

udogi Senior Member

Murcia, Spain
    Español - España
    ... the teaching staff are very good at Theory of the image, but they only bring up students who during their five years do nothing but read.

Is teaching staff singular or plural? Because you first wrote "they are good", but later "is good at teaching", I guess it's singular but I wrote it in plural.