1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

termination allowance

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Holz-und Bücherwurm, May 5, 2013.

1. Holz-und Bücherwurm Junior Member

Ecuador
    Deutsch
    En un texto de derecho laboral hay una enumeración de términos, con uno de ellos tengo un poco de problemas:

"The employee acknowledges that the total sums paid to the employee as damages resulting from the injury, including without limitation, dmages directly or indirectly resulting from termination of the employment pursuant to this agreement cover and include all sums that may, have benn, or may in the future be owed to him by the employer, as a compensatory allowence in lieu of prior notice of termination of employment, notice of termination of employment, notice period, indemnity for prejudice suffered due to the loss of employment, termination allowance, contractual or extra-contractual damages for salary .......

¿Cuál es la traducción correcta de "termination allowance"?

Gracias de antemano.

2. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Since no one else has offered any suggestions, I'll try. This sounds like "severance pay." Perhaps it's a British term? If you can find a translation for severance pay, perhaps that would work. Sorry, but I don't know the Spanish term for it.

3. Holz-und Bücherwurm Junior Member

Ecuador
    Deutsch
    Thank you for your try, litiga8or, I really appreciate it. I've always had the idea that "allowance" has something to do with more or less regular or constant payments. Am I wrong? I understand that "severance pay" is a unique payment, and what is the difference then between "severance pay" and "indemnity for prejudice suffered due to the loss of employment"?
    Maybe you could give more suggestions?
    By the way, it's a Canadian document.

4. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    An ALLOWANCE can be a one-time payment.

Does "indemnity for prejudice suffered due to the loss of employment" appear in the same document? What is it's relation to the term "termination allowance?"

5. Holz-und Bücherwurm Junior Member

Ecuador
    Deutsch
    Yes, and it is inmediately before the term "termination allowance":

The employee acknowledges that the total sums paid to the employee as damages resulting from the injury, including without limitation, dmages directly or indirectly resulting from termination of the employment pursuant to this agreement cover and include all sums that may, have benn, or may in the future be owed to him by the employer, as a compensatory allowence in lieu of prior notice of termination of employment, notice of termination of employment, notice period, indemnity for prejudice suffered due to the loss of employment,termination allowance, contractual or extra-contractual damages for salary .......

6. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    They are two different things.

Indemnity for prejudice suffered means payment for harm or damage
    severance pay (termination allowance?) is a payment to someone because their job ended. Sometimes it is a gift from the employer. Sometimes it is paid because it was in the contract when the employee started working. Sometimes it is offered if the employee promises not to sue the employer for ending the job, or not to sue for the prejudice or harm caused by losing the job. In that case, it would be part of a contract at the end of the employment.

Hope that helps.

7. davehuert

davehuert Senior Member

Mmm... Te paso unos parientes lejanos; espero te sirvan:

Indemnity for prejudice suffered due to the loss of employment: Indemnización (constitucional).

Termination allowance: Bono de/por terminación de la relación laboral.

Esperemos más sugerencias.

8. Holz-und Bücherwurm Junior Member

Ecuador
    Deutsch
    Ahhh gracias, eso del bono ya me convence y las explicaciones de litiga8or entiendo perfectamente bien. :idea: Las dos respuestas me sirvieron mucho.