1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Terminum custodem limitum suorum

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by melonidas, Dec 30, 2012.

1. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    Hello everybody!

The context of the sentence I am just about to give you is too big, so maybe we can find out the traduction without it. There it goes:

Terminum custodem limitum suorum

These are two accusatives and two genitives, but I dont see any verb.

thx!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    This is from a list of Roman gods, with their names in the accusative: Terminus, the guardian of their boundaries. It comes from a text that seems to be part of the standard introductory Latin course for Spanish speakers. Here's one of the many examples of exactly this text found by google, and here is the relevant paragraph:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello, melonidas!
    Welcome to the forum. :)

The text exgerman found shows that invocabant is the verb that is understood in each of the phrases that follow. The accusatives are the objects of invocabant and Romani is the understood subject:

Invocabant enim Iovem, numen caeli et fulminis; [invocabant] Martem, dominum hiemis et tempestatis; [invocabant] Sa­turnum, auctorem sementis et agrorum; [invocabant] Terminum, custodem limitum suorum; ....

4. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    Ok thx. I am trying to figure out the meaning of the sentence terminum custodem limitum suorum but can't find it.

5. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    The English translation is staring you in the face, in post #2, in italics.

6. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    I dont see the translation :(
    Is the translation: with the leaders, correct for the latin text: cum ducibus illis ?

thx

7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    exgerman has translated
    • Terminum custodem limitum suorum
    as: Terminus, the guardian of their boundaries.

(Please start a new thread for a new question, but, yes, with <those/the> leaders is a reasonable translation of cum ducibus illis. ;))