1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

terrace vs balcony

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by page, Mar 26, 2008.

1. page Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish
    I have seen that terrace sometimes is defined as a balcony but not vice versa. I would like to know if or what the differences between these two terms are.
    Thank you in advanced

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Although the word has various meanings I think a terrace is usually on the ground, something like a patio. You would use balcony for a theatre, for example.

3. page Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish
    What about the description of a place that says: studio apartment which has a big terrace? I have always undertstood a terrace as a kind of patio but now I see it can also mean balcony. That is why I was wondering about the possible differences

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    It could be that the studio apartment is on the ground floor, but then again maybe not. In any case, balcony isn't generally used in the context of residential space, so you probably would say terrace.

Here's an example of a rooftop terrace:
    http://www.terraceinthesky.com/

5. page Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish
    So you are saying that if I am describing my flat, which actually has 3 small balconies, I should say 3 small terraces, aren´t you?

6. afterlife Senior Member

US, Spanish/English
    A terrace has no ceiling/roof.
    A balcony has a ceiling/roof.

7. markasfi New Member

English
    A Terrace is a "setback" from the building line and contained within the "footprint" of the building
    A Balcony juts out beyond the building line
    In an interior court environment, you could have balconies overlooking the court yard but jutting out from the interior building line
    A patio is on the ground

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

That makes sense, although ground-level patios are also called terraces. But it explains why a rooftop space can be a terrace.

9. hedgy Senior Member

Catalan
    I understand that a balcony is on the 1st, 2nd... floor, while a terrace is on the ground floor.
    However, in Spain, most buildings have a very big "terraza" that can be either on the 1st floor (flats often start on the 1st floor, not the ground floor) or the top floor. How do you call these ones? they are not balconies, although they have a fence and they are usually quite big.

10. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

(The ground floor is the first floor, the floor above that is the second floor, at least in the U.S.)
    (They have a railing)
    (What do you call those?)
    Terraces. I think the key difference is that a terrace is big and has something solid underneath it, either the ground or part of the building, and is usually open on the sides, not counting the railing or wall. A balcony has open space below it (usually another balcony).

From some site: A balcony has smaller space and has a rooftop while a terrace has more space and usually open-top. A balcony is suspended in space while a terrace is attached to the ground or unsuspended. Balconies are only accessible through the area that they are attached to while terraces have entrances of their own.

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-balcony-and-vs-terrace/#ixzz2HaEgNumx

11. ha_nny New Member

Turkish
    Can someone correct me if I am wrong?
    We basically call balcony a terrace when we ask a real estate agent to show a house that has balcony. But when we talk casually we call it a terrace when there is nothing above it and it is on the ground level and we call it a balcony if it is smaller and there is something above it.

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

No, if it's a balcony you call it a balcony.

13. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    [QUOTE=k-in-sc;12893158
    From some site: A balcony has smaller space and has a rooftop while a terrace has more space and usually open-top. A balcony is suspended in space while a terrace is attached to the ground or unsuspended. Balconies are only accessible through the area that they are attached to while terraces have entrances of their own.

I've just had a look at the floor plan of an apartment (in the U.S.A.) that my daughter will be moving into shortly. It's on the 8th floor and shows two terraces, even though these are not on the ground (or 1st - US) floor and and are suspended in space. The only entrance, apart from one designed by Spiderman, is from the apartment itself...:confused:

14. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Well, then, they're not terraces. If you called them flying whales, would they be flying whales? :)

15. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Ten things:

1. No need to be snotty:)
    2. An accepted meaning of terrace is "a platform projecting from an outside wall, as of an apartment; balcony" – and that's from an American dictionary (Webster's)
    3. If I called then flying whales they would not be flying wales
    4. When an established and respected property developer labels upper floor balconies adjoining $500k apartments as 'terraces' then I'm inclined to believe that this is accepted usage in the USA, just as you call a WC/lavatory/toilet a bathroom even though there's no sign of a bath in there
    5. Can't think of the other 6 things...:)

16. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Sorry, it still strikes me as a ridiculous misuse of the word (regardless of how much the apartments cost).

17. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    English/Spanish
    See this link for a good description of "terrace".
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_(building)

BTW, our house in Mexico City has two terraces,one balcony, and one patio..The larger of the two terraces I use as a roof garden. We don´t use the smaller terrace. The balcony sits behind a bay-window in the master bedroom suite. The patio is off the kitchen --- our dog thinks this is her private "terrace".

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013