Teta Vanek or teta Vaneková?

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by Kirja, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Kirja Senior Member

Finnish
    Witch one is correct?

2. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    The surname is Vaněk, genitive Vaňka, vocative Vaňku!, etc.

Teta (aunt) is Vaňková. (vocative: teto Vaňková!)

3. Kirja Senior Member

Finnish
    So is the feminine form of Vaněk always Vaňková?

4. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Yes, in the nominative and vocative singular.

Other cases are different.

5. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Just to put some flesh on the bones of bibax's reply, Czech is an inflected language, Kirja. Teta (aunt) is a noun. Nouns decline, in other words, they must take one of seven case forms or endings according to the grammatical function they fulfil in the sentence. Vaňková, a female surname, also declines, but like an adjective. It, too, must take one of seven corresponding case forms or endings agreeing with the noun it modifies.

Nominative case (subject of the verb) - teta Vaňková
    Teta Vaňková mi poslala dopis. Aunt Vaňková has sent me a letter.

Genitive - tety Vaňkové
    Dostal jsem dopis od tety Vaňkové. I've received a letter from Aunt Vaňková ("od" takes the genitive case)

Dative - tetě Vaňkové
    Píšu tetě Vaňkové. I'm writing to Aunt Vaňková. (As in English, you write "to" someone - dative)

Accusative (object of the verb) - tetu Vaňkovou
    Viděl jsem tetu Vaňkovou. I saw Aunt Vaňková.

Vocative (addressing someone) teto Vaňková!
    Teto Vaňková, jsi to ty? Is that you, Aunt Vaňková?

Locative (or Prepositional) - (o) tetě Vaňkové
    Mluvíme o tetě Vaňkové. We're talking about Aunt Vaňková ("o" takes the prepositional/locative [in this sense])

Instrumental - tetou Vaňkovou
    Jeli jsme s tetou Vaňkovou. We went with Aunt Vaňková ("s" takes the instrumental [in this sense])

6. Tinu Junior Member

May I just add that the diminutive ending -ek is a very common ending of Czech surnames (Vaněk, Čapek, Sládek, Morávek, Sedláček and many, many others). As Enquiring Mind in his typically meticuluous and flawless fashion pointed out, when inflecting these surnames, the "e" sound is ommitted, which also applies for deriving female forms of the surname (Vaňková, Čapková, Sládková etc).