Text in emails

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Alxmrphi, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Open letter,

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase can we have the text body in emails reactivated?
    I don't like going back to the old way now! I am happy with the doubled space for my inbox, however :D

Alex

2. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    I opted not to receive e-mail notifications anymore because my inbox used to be flooded with them—I tested all the types of subscriptions, it was hopeless... Now, I should have modified all my old subscriptions manually to stop receiving those notifications, but I didn't. I'm happy when I see an update of an old thread from my first months as a WR member and I really liked it when the recent posts were available in the body of the e-mails again. So I think I second Alex's request, just out of nostalgia for the old days as a young member of WR. :)

3. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    My understanding is that the "whole text of post in email" feature was removed because someone could post spam, or post something offensive, and the moderators could delete the post, but you could still see the text of it in your email notification.

4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Personally for me the awkwardness of checking every single reply manually is a lot more bother than the occasional (which has never happened to me ever when texts went through emails) email with a spam message that I can just delete straight away through my email account. Putting it on a balance, I'd be happy to accept spam for the convenience of not manually going through loads of threads every day. Maybe only the members with massive reams of subscriptions can understand what it's like. I don't want to not receive emails because I like to find out when new posts are added, but when it's "Okay thanks." or something I'm not really bothered with anymore I can just delete. All the spam I've seen has been in new posts, not added to old threads (but I might be missing a lot).

But that's just my view.

5. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I'm just curious: except for the time stamp, what is the difference between opening all your email notifications and opening threads you are subscribed to? (I used to have that turn on & stopped because I received just too many & it was really a bother).

6. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Maybe it's different depending on who your email provider is but if you use Google mail, navigation is easy, all through the same window, emails show in a subframe and you can click and instantly see if it's something worth opening or not, an absolute fraction of the time that 7-8 new tabs (or god forbid windows if IE opens up by accident) takes.