1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Teyze / Hala / Amca / Dayı

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by FlyingBird, Nov 21, 2013.

1. FlyingBird Senior Member

Makedonca
    Teyze=bir kimsenin annesinin kız kardeşi (also polite way to call older woman)
    Hala=bir kimsenin babasının kız kardeşi

Amca=bir kimsenin babasının erkek kardeşi (also polite way to call older man)
    Dayı=bir kimsenin annesinin erkek kardeşi

When else do you use those words except what i said?

lütfen bu çok önemli bir konu benim için

şimdiden teşekkürler :)

2. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    You can hear children of parents calling their parents' friends as xxx tezye and xxx amca.

Sometimes you can hear people call elderly people they don't know as dayı.

3. Muttaki

Muttaki Senior Member

Once, when I was in a bus service of a bus firm the driver asked passengers if there was someone who wants to get off referring to a particular place. A while later a girl from the back said she wants get off and driver a bit reacting said I asked a while ago whether someone wants to get off. While she was going, the girl said "Arkadayım duymuyorum dayı!". :) I laughed and was really surprised, and everbody thought same way no doubt, because it is awkward for a girl to call someone dayı, if he was not her own mother's brother.

4. FlyingBird Senior Member

Makedonca
    So 'dayı' is not used so often in these situations i guess? While word 'amca' is normal for that? :)

5. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Yes, though it depends on the age of the person you're addressing to. Nowadays many people simply use "hocam" to address any stranger. At least, that's my experience in Ankara.

6. Muttaki

Muttaki Senior Member

Interesting...

@FlyingBird Let me add that if that person was a young man, one would think he is reacting back to the driver (selecting the word "dayı"). But saying "amca" wouldn't have that effect.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013