1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Thai: I can't be touched

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by dekkers91, Apr 14, 2013.

1. dekkers91 New Member

English & Italian & Spanish
    I need to translate "I can't be touched" in Thai.
    The translator says "ฉันไม่สามารถจะสัมผัส"
    and one my friend says "ฉันไม่สามารถจับได้"

The phrase is for a fighter,"I can't be touched" I mean like nobodies can hit me.

2. 恋爱ing New Member

Kunming
    Thai
    "The phrase is for a fighter,"I can't be touched" I mean like nobodies can hit me."

It sounds like "ไม่มีใครสามารถทำอะไรฉันได้" "ไม่มีใครสามารถแตะต้องฉันได้" for me, If I understand it correctly!

3. Vikingen New Member

Norwegian
    Could I ask why we would use ทำอะไรฉัน instead of ทำร้ายฉัน? I'm guessing both can be used?
    I also never heard of the word ตะต้อง, could you explain it's meaning?

4. Lon HoneyBabe New Member

London
    English, Mandarin & Thai
    Considering the context, I totally agree with 恋爱ing's translation - semantically and grammatically correct.

The translations of dekkers91's translator and friend were very bad and broken Thai - google style - not gangnam
    :p

Vikingen - I think if you're a Thai native speaker
    ทำอะไร would fit better in this context as in "can't be touched" than ทำร้าย
    which means causing harm...so
    ไม่มีใครสามารถทำร้ายฉันได้ = I can't be harmed

By the way, there's no "ตะต้อง" in Thai lang. แตะต้อง = verb to touch in this sentence.
    Verb to touch is quite complex in Thai usage that requires various context clues.

In conclusion, I would use
    "ไม่มีใครสามารถทำอะไรฉันได้" in general situation/sense, daily life or everyday speaking.

"ไม่มีใครสามารถแตะต้องฉันได้" would fit better in a movie context or situation that I want more "lively" feeling e.g. creating picturesque like, which emphasises on v. to "touch" and is equivalent to the Eng counterpart.

Klart?...håper dette hjelper
    ;)