Thai: You are being interpreted

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Seba W., Nov 4, 2013.

1. Seba W. Senior Member

Thailand Argentina Spanish
    I need to translate the sentence bellow into Thai. The contexts: this phrase is going to be on a sign at a conference where there will be simultaneous interpretation in various languages. Organizers want to make sure speakers presenting topics are aware that what they say will be translated (verbally, “live” -interpreted) and so speakers should 1) “speak naturally” (no need to be super slow!) and 2) make a short stop after a coherent ideas has been said. Thanks in advance for any help! The English phrase and my bad Thai attempt follow:

“You are being interpreted - Please speak at normal pace and pause after complete thought”

คำพูดของคุณกำลังถูกแปล – กรุณาพูดตามปกติและหยุดเมื่อบอกเสร็จความคิด??

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. iKOL New Member

Thai
    I suggest the S+V+O structure in the first phrase.

เรา (ผม/ดิฉัน) กำลังแปลให้คุณ กรุณาพูดตามปกติ และหยุดเมื่อพูดจบ (แต่ละประโยค)
    I am interpreting for you. Please speak at normal pace and pause when each sentence is finished.

3. Seba W. Senior Member

Thailand Argentina Spanish
    Thank you very much, iKOL! (and Flaminius for editing the title!)

I think your version is much closer, although the idea is not that the speaker stops after “each sentence is finished,” but rather after a whole idea is finished…

The sentence that follows was the one I finally used (got no complains, so I assume it was not too bad –or so I hope!). But I would be very interested in getting it right so I can use it again in the future. Comments/corrections are very welcome! Thnaks again!

คำพูดของคุณกำลังถูกแปล กรุณาพูดด้วยความเร็วปกติ และ เว้นจังหวะเล็กน้อยหลังจากพูดจบแต่ละประเด็น