Thank God it's Friday

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by verbivore, Jan 11, 2008.

1. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    Thank God it's Friday:

Grace à Dieu on en est vendredi.

Que conseillez-vous comme traduction?

Merci

2. pioupiouz Senior Member

Corsica
    France French
    Quel serait le contexte ?
    "ouf! c'est enfin le week end!" est ce que je dirai de manière informelle.

3. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

Paris
    France - French
    please put the whole sentence as a title, it's a not so arduous task.

--> Ouf / merci mon dieu c'est bientôt le week-end ?

4. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    On dit TGIF normalement d'ailleurs.

5. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    Le week-end s'approche est simplement on s'en contente.

Merci. Vous m'avez aidé.

6. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

Paris
    France - French
    Could say "heureusement que c'est bientôt le week-end"

7. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    Je viens de trouver le suivant dans un dictionnaire: Dieu merci c'est vendredi!

8. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

Paris
    France - French
    Ca ressemble à un calque..."Dieu merci la semaine est bientôt finie" sound better and conveys the right idea. "dieu merci c'est vendredi" does not imply that you are waiting the end of the week.

9. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    C'est le dictionnaire qui le dit, pas moi. Merci quand même.

10. vanagreg Senior Member

Nord
    France, French
    Dieu merci c'est vendredi is fine, and it's close to the original sentence

11. doinel

doinel Modlife crisis

Southern France
    France French

my motto: Enfin vendredi!!!
    or enfin le week-end!

12. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Et comment dire TGIF party ? (on sort avec les collègues/les copains prendre un pot le vendredi après le travail ou les cours)

13. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    Celui vient à l'esprit: Vivement le week-end !

Une réunion entre copains de vendredi soir

14. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Hello,

I corrected the order... but it may be a bit wordy. Beuverie du vendredi? But then it sounds like a Friday binge. Tournée/virée du vendredi? But that might be understood as going from one bar to another. Not an easy one, Wildan 1.

Vivement le weekend would be something in the lines of : "I can't wait for the week-end!"
    I believe that you meant to say Vive le weekend! ;)

For TGIF, I also say Enfin vendredi! But I agree that Dieu merci, c'est vendredi is fine : I just don't naturally say Dieu merci. Literal translations do work out sometimes.

On the other hand, in my vocabulary, la semaine est bientôt finie might as well mean that today's Thursday (and there are only 2 days out of 5 to go before the week-end).

15. verbivore Senior Member

USA, English
    Well, Nicomon, you picked every litte thing apart. Doesn't Vive le week-end translate to "Long live the weekend"? That's why I went with Vivement. Besides, TGIF implies..."I can't wait for the weekend". I can see why you chose DU, but it's an issue of semantics: does one mean "every" Friday or just the "category" "Friday". If it's the latter, "de" will work. Peace out!

16. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Well... it depends. I agree that TGIF implies "I can't wait for the weekend", if you say this in the morning, for instance. But I've heard people say "I can't wait for the weekend" any day of the week. ;) I thought you were answering Wildan's question about TGIF party. And to me, if we're Friday evening and going out with friends, the weekend has started already. In which case (in mind stubborn Franco Quebecer mind) Vive le weekend! = "Hurrah for the weekend! " as in Vive les vacances! which I don't think you would translate as "Long live the vacation!"

As for du/de... I can't think right ths moment of an example where I'd use de instead of du, unless something is added, e.g. réunion de vendredi dernier/prochain. But that really would be a question for the grammar forum.