1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. xKaLi

xKaLi New Member

Castellano Bolivia
    El titulo ya lo dice todo, como seria la traducción de "Thank yew!" al español, la verdad no se me ocurre nada mas que "Gracias"...

2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Hola, fonéticamente sonaría como thank u/thank you, con lo que creo que es correcta tu traducción.

3. Tochka Senior Member

I can't help with suggestions for the Spanish, but as a native speaker from the northeast of the US, I can let you know what thoughts reading the title with this spelling would raise in my mind:
    To spell "you" as "yew" is to indicate a certain accent. I would assume the "yew" to be meant to indicate a country (as opposed to city) accent, or possibly more generally to simply represent an accent from the southern U.S.
    The exclamation point following it could be meant to show enthusiasm or, alternatively, irony. (Such as when one says "thank you" in a stressed tone that indicates one really did not appreciate what was done in the least!)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. Tochka Senior Member

The spelling in question seems to be a deliberate, appropriate use of phonetic spelling, meant to indicate that the speaker has a certain accent or style of speaking. Since there is no other way to convey this in print, it is perfectly acceptable and a common device in novels or other writing that relies to replicating the sounds of speech for atmosphere.

5. antropólogo Junior Member

English - United States
    También a veces es divertido hablar así, entonces decir "thank yew" es hacer una gracia en una conversación. (no sé si se dice "hacer una gracia en una conversación...)

6. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I suapect that the title refers to the last episode of "The Closer." In which case the title just refers to the police woman´s catch phrase is "Thank you; thank you so much." She always pronounces "Thank you" as "Thank yew!"
    So perhaps you can think of a regional way of pronouncing Gracias e.g. Grazias.

7. xKaLi

xKaLi New Member

Castellano Bolivia
    Ya se salieron del tema principal, que era como traducirlo al español, como dice en urban dictionary, "A word or sound made when exited." pero al español solo puedo traducirlo como "¡Gracias!" agregarle algo mas creo que sonaria estupido, en otras palabras la expresión no se puede traducir exactamente al español...

8. xKaLi

xKaLi New Member

Castellano Bolivia
    Mmmm no, aquí esta una parte de la conversación:

"Tanaka taro: I became a "man".
    Setton: Tanaka-san, haven't you always been a man...?
    Kanra: No! That's not what he means! Lol! you mean you had sex for the first time, right?
    Setton: Huh!!? geez! what's with you young kids these days!?
    Tanaka taro: thank yew! thank yew!
    Kanra: It's so nice to be young! fill us in on all the details!"

Gracias o Grazias es lo mismo, de echo el segundo suena raro...

9. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    OK, I was on the wrong track!
    Then to me "gracias" should be written as if a Japanese person was saying it. :confused:
    In Japanese there are no dipthongs so the ou sound in you is pronounced as two separate vowel sounds, more like the word yew.

10. Raquel8 Senior Member

USA English
    Castellano de Uruguay, básico
    It's just a funny, childish way of saying thank you.

Alternately, it is a play on words with Eww, which means gross.

11. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I would like to ask those of you who think it's an attempt to transcribe an accent, what difference do you hear between the pronunciations of "you" and "yew" ( and "ewe", while we're at it)?

12. Tochka Senior Member

I have to disagree with this. Although I imagine it is possible a child might also say it this way, that is not how the writing, "thank yew", would be commonly understood, in my experience.

This is a common, normal, regional pronunciation among adults in certain regions of the US. The farmer I bought my eggs from this morning thanked me for my business with this exact pronunciation.

@inib: I pronounce "you" with a more rounded, open "oo" sound, formed more with the tongue raised in the mid-back area of the mouth--somewhat approaching the vowel in the French "vous', but not as far back. I would use "yew" to pronounce a vowel formed more to the front of the mouth, approaching the vowel in the French "tu," with the tongue raised and forward.

Note also that I would read "yew" not as two separate sounds, but more like an iotized high "u" (pardon my faded recollection of linguistic vocabulary!;)). (Rhyming with "cue.") I'll try to look up how to write this properly in international phonetic notation and edit (or post again) later.
    Edit: See later post.

13. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Thanks for your comments, Tochka. Perhaps I'm not aware (as happens to many people, especially in their own language) of these minor differences. I wouldn't compare my own pronunciation of you/yew/ewe with either the French tu or vous, but I have come to realise, (thanks to a lot of speaking out loud) that I may sometimes pronounce a slightly shorter "u" in thank you, than when I pronounce the word you in isolation.

14. Tochka Senior Member

Further to my earlier post, after viewing a youtube video on the International Phonetic Alphabet (titled "Pronunciation Tutorial 3: English Vowels and the International Phonetic Alphabet"), I would transcribe the "you" in "thank you" as /ju/ and the "yew" in "thank yew" as /jy/.

Ah! Check out reference #20 at this blog on how to speak like a Texan.
    The blog uses the spelling "yew" as the sort of indicator of pronunciation I'm familiar with--although, as has been noted, Texans aren't the only ones who say it this way. :D Something the blog notes, which I missed but realize does go with it, is that the consonant blend of "thank" pushes into the "yew" making it sound like one word. (Sort of like "thang-cue.")

15. Raquel8 Senior Member

USA English
    Castellano de Uruguay, básico
    If this is translated from Japanese, chances are it has nothing to do with American regional accents. Also, the rest of the dialogue would have to be consistent with the same accent and that does not seem to be the case.

The conversation has to do with having sex for the first time and being young, so my comments on post #10 still stand.

16. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    English/Spanish
    Thank yew or thank you,
    which in Spanish would be:
    "Gracias" or "Gracias a ti".

17. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Sounds Greek to me, all this. In my British (Oxford) accent I pronounce you, yew and ewe exactly the same,just as Inib says

18. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    In BE I would agree and say the two words sound much the same. In AE I think there is a difference.
    But to me the yew just suggests a long drawn-out, emphatic you (as opposed to a short american yeh).
    I would probably put graaaacias in a translation.

19. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    I think this is just an exaggerated pronunciation he uses as a sort of joke as he takes a series of bows in front of his 'audience' (his friends).

syd

20. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I've read the explanations above from other AE speakers, and I have to say that I have no idea what they're talking about. I've checked 2 dictionaries, and both indicate that there is no difference in pronunciation between yew and you, which is as it seems to me. I suppose there are always regional variations, but if someone is trying to indicate a different pronunciation of the word "you," then they will have failed in their goal with the vast majority of people by spelling it "yew."

21. Tochka Senior Member

My understanding of "yew" as being pronounced with a higher vowel is not taken from the pronunciation of the word "yew", but from the contrast of the spelling y-e-w against the normal spelling y-o-u. My own pronunciation of "yew" the tree is very similar to "you" the second person pronoun, but when I see someone using "yew" in place of "you" I immediately think of the regional high pronunciation of "you" rather than the yew tree. I'm sure this is what the Texas blogger and others using this spelling to represent spoken speech have in mind. There's no reason to misspell the word if a shift in pronunciation isn't intended: the words are of equal length, so there's no economy of space, and anyone educated enough to know the name of the yew and how it is pronounced probably is educated enough to know how to spell "you", so it's not intended to indicate illiteracy. What's left, as far as I can see, is it's an indicator of pronunciation.

(Of course if, as I believe RaquelB suggests, the "thank yew" that the OP encountered actually originated as a Japanese version of English, it may just have been what the creators thought looked like a "cool" spelling.... I understand there is (or was) a soft drink in Japan marketed under the English name "sweat." ;) )

Yes, when said with the regional pronunciation I'm thinking of, the word is stressed and often drawn out, although I personally would expect hear a higher vowel as it was drawn out.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013