1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Thank you a lot --?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by andychen, Jul 29, 2006.

1. andychen Senior Member

Chinese, Taiwan
    Hi, everyone,

Could we say "Thank you a lot"?
    Is it grammatically right? Is it awkward?
    I think it is grammatically right but awkward. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Kenneth Garland

Kenneth Garland Senior Member

Bristol, UK
    UK, English
    It's OK for conversation or an informal letter to a friend, but not for formal writing, where you might use "Thank you very much" or "Many thanks".

3. Tatzingo

Tatzingo Senior Member

Where on Earth??
    English, UK
    I agree with Kenneth. When speaking, you could also say "Thank you SO much" which is not as awkward as "Thank you a lot" - this is actually shortened to "Thanks a lot" most of the time.

Tatz.

4. A90Six Senior Member

London
    England - English.
    Yes it is awkward.

Thanks a lot, is often heard.

Thank you. A lot! may be used among friends or in a jokey way to emphasise the thanks.

Colloquially, thank you much, thank you loads, thanks a lot, thanks a million or thanks a bunch may be heard.

A lot in this sense means a great number or quantity. It is considered a lazy way of saying much or many.

Thank you very much would be considered more correct.

5. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    This seems to be another AE/BE distinction. We don't hear or use "Thank you a lot'' in AE. Rather, we use the equally colloquial "Thanks a lot."

6. Kenneth Garland

Bristol, UK
    UK, English
    Yes, in fact I think "thanks a lot" is better and more common in BE as in AE.

7. Tatzingo

Tatzingo Senior Member

Where on Earth??
    English, UK
    It's as Kenneth says. Neither do we. The point someone else made earlier was that sometimes people say "Thank you." and then hastily or jokingly add "a lot" afterwards.

Tatz.

8. Kenneth Garland

Bristol, UK
    UK, English
    I can imagine someone saying (or writing in an informal letter): "Thank you a lot for your birthday present", and it wouldn't be exactly wrong. But perhaps that person had the different variants in his head at the same time. I think we often mix up locutions because different ones are interfering with each other in our heads!