Thank you for your interest in/the attention you paid to...

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Bisque, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Bisque New Member

French - France

I'm looking for a way to translate the following sentence (actually, not so much the sentence itself as the meaning it conveys):

"I thank you for your interest in my application" or "I thank you for the attention you paid to my application". Or, in French, "Je vous remercie de l'attention que vous avez porté à ma demande".

It's meant as an opening phrase (after Sehr geehrte Frau Y,) in a formal context, to acknowledge the quick response I got.

The closest sentence I could find is "Herzlichen Dank für die Aufmerksamkeit (das Interesse?), die Sie an meinen Unterlagen/meiner Bewerbung gezeigt haben" or maybe ", die Sie meinen Unterlagen geschenkt/gegeben haben"; but I don't know whether it's correct at all and/or sounding awkward.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. vollmilch New Member

it would be good to know the cricumstances but in case the person in question really was/is interested you could pretty much use your sentence like this:
    "Herzlichen Dank (Vielen Dank maybe .. doesnt sound like some christmas letter) für das Interesse, dass Sie meinen Unterlagen/meiner Bewerbung gewidmet haben"
    Unterlagen/Bewerbung doesnt really matter.
    In case the person is some dude working for a company and doesn't really care about your stuff more than seeing it as part of his job I would say it like that
    "Vielen dank für die Mühe, die Sie sich mit meinen Unterlagen gemacht haben"
    Means pretty much "thanks for bothering".
    But to use your sentence:
    "Danke für die Aufmerksamkeit, die Sie meinen Unterlagen/meiner Bewerbung geschenkt haben" wich would probably work even better.

If you use the first sentence and the person doesn't really care it kind of sounds weird but it still wouldnt cause problems its not that bad.

But with this one
    "Vielen Danke für die Aufmerksamkeit, die Sie meinen Unterlagen/meiner Bewerbung geschenkt/gewidmet haben"
    you pretty much can't do anything wrong.
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
  3. Bisque New Member

French - France
    Perfectly answers my question. It's part of the person's job and I was looking for something neutral/formal. From what you said, I think your last suggestion is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot :)