1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

'Thank yous' VS 'Thank you's'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Dreamcaster, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Dreamcaster Junior Member

Italy - Italiano
    I happen to read more and more often this - remarkably ugly - expression on the last page of books or CD booklets.
    (It looks like the good old 'acknowledgements' belongs to another era).

I'd rather go for the first form - despite it's (not?) surprisingly the second one whom I find more often - since the whole expression (thank you) could be considered a noun, so the '-s' turns it into plural.

Any comments?

[corrections are VERY welcome]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. BellaDancer

BellaDancer Senior Member

If I understand your reference, a section or list of acknowledgments, I would say it should be "Thank yous." It's a little odd, but the apostrophe would make it possessive, and it's a plural, not a possessive.

3. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    The misuse of the apostrophe to form a plural is the subject of many, many threads in this forum.

The ignorant use of "thank you's" is distressingly common, especially in the U.S. where the de-emphasis of grammar in past years is now producing teachers who don't know any better.

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    The only context I can think of in which one might write or say thank you's is as the plural of thank you, as in, for instance, Have you said your thank you's? - this is the kind of thing a parent asks when collecting a child from a party.

There is a lot of disagreement about forming plurals with an 's. In normal circumstances it isn't acceptable, and people are very rude about greengrocers in this context - they have a reputation for putting signs on cardboard marked potato's or carrot's.

I couldn't easily accept thank yous, as the plural of a thank you, just as I write p's and q's rather than ps and qs.

This is quite a vexed area in that it seems to make some people very dogmatic and overexcited. I have no objection to thank you's in an informal context. From what you say, Dreamcaster, it sounds as though it's creeping into more formal ones, which I think could be a pity. Why can't people take the trouble to write the much more gracious, we would like to thank...?

5. upwordly New Member

English
    I know this is a really old thread but thank yous to all. I had a unique context that needed some clarity.