Thanks Button

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by CX23882, Jun 20, 2008.

1. CX23882 Junior Member

English - USA
    Sometimes I feel guilty posting replies to thank people for their suggestions, because it increases my post count without adding anything of value.

On some forums there is a "Thanks!" button below every post, and clicking that adds the clicker's name as giving thanks below that particular messages, and also increases a counter for how many times a particular person has been thanked.

Do you have any plans for implementing something similar?
  2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
  3. Schenker Senior Member

Chile, español

But the point is, what is the importance of having a lot of post? To me it doesn't matters to have 100 or 1000 post, what's the diference? I notice that Some people wants to have thousands of post in their counter, why? I don't know really. Prestige? The prestige has nothing to do with "quantity" but "quality"... No-one should be cared, worried or concerned about how many post he has. Who cares???!!! This is for learn, not for compite about the posts!!! In fact, being concerned about the post count make that some people always wants to answer, even when they don't know very well the answer, and that is a very bad thing.

(Sorry for my english)

4. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    I think the first part of this (clicking to thank) is an excellent idea. In the English-Only forum, many foreros neither thank nor acknowledge posts answering their questions. This can become a bit frustrating: did the person who posted the question ever see the answer? Did the poster understand the answer? Those who answer questions really do need feedback.

On the other hand, I don't think it is necessary to add up the "thanks clicks." I don't know what purpose that would serve (except to show how many people were polite enough to say "Thank you"?)
  5. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    I'm also in favour, for this reason, that although it's nice to be nice, and politeness is always appreciated, these threads will appear in the wider context of the WR dictionary, and users of that facility, checking relevant threads for guidance about a particular usage, really don't need to see posts like, "Gee, I never thought of it like that - thanks so much" (with the inevitable smiley).

I agree with Joelline that it's helpful, and I dare say gratifying, to know that your explanation has been received and understood, and something of this nature would be a great addition. Alternatively, members should be encourage to express their undying gratitude by way of PM, and leave the threads uncluttered by what are, at the end of the day, off-topic comments.
  6. avok

avok Banned

Have you also noticed that you can't actually "thank" someone by saying "thanks" or even "thank you"?! Because these words are less than "10 characters"? So, I usually have to say "thank....." (to make the message 10 characters) or "ok........" if there is nothing to thank for.
  7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'm probably old-fashioned on this.
    I find the idea of a little thanks button much too mechanical, and the prospect of a list of those who clicked the thanks button beneath a post abhorrent.

Thanks and appreciation come across through the discussion, and I don't have any difficulty with an occasional extra post even if it simply says "Thank you," (ten characters :)).
  8. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    Be thanked for having said my mind, Panj:).
  9. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    The foreros may consider that sending PMs to say thanks is a waste of time and a bit complicated, and I do agree.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  10. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Count me in the 'old-fashioned group':D
    'thanks' shouldn't become mechanical, but rather a true proof of humanity in an increasingly virtual world. WRF is a forum, but it is also like the Roman agora, it implies the least of human relationships. I wouldn't appreciate being thanked by a mechanical device of any kind, I prefer by far a lack of answer - however frustrating that may be.
  11. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

Um ninho de mafagalfinhos
    português, Brasil
    I like the idea of having a 'thank you' button, although I see Panjandrum's point about it being a little mechanic and impersonal. I have faced dilemmas before about thanking or not. If on the one hand it's always considerate to show my gratitude, on the other I feared it might be annoying to put my thread back on top of the list because of a quick thank you note. It's nice to learn that it's expected of me to thank always, and to all those who ever answered to a question asked by me and went unthanked (?), my belated thank you very much!

:) (inevitable)
  12. dn88 Senior Member

I am for. This way forum members can earn their reputation. I think that's a good idea.
  13. avok

avok Banned

Yes in English a simple "," may be enough to have 10 characters but if you write in French (Merci.....) or Turkish (sağol.....) it really looks silly.
  14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A mechanical reputation, based on mouse clicks.
    Would anyone base anything on that?

The linked threads give more opinions on posting thanks. They are well worth reading.
  15. dn88 Senior Member

I wouldn't call that "mechanical". If a person finds a particular answer helpful, then he/she can click "Thanks". If not, then no one is forced to thank anyone.
  16. Punky Zoé

Punky Zoé Senior Member

France - français
    "Merci avok", "merci bien" or "merci beaucoup" will do the job ! :D
  17. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I, too, vote for continuing as we are at present. "Thank you" messages are nice, and only briefly bring the thread back to the front page. "Thank you" votes would be invidious: WRF is not a popularity contest...

Am clearly feeling particularly grumpy at the moment:(
  18. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Français, Québec ♀
    Ad my old-fashioned vote to the old-fashioned group. :D Just don't put too much icing on the "thank you cake". Some long winded thank you's don't sound sincere. I don't mean you, Moon.
  19. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    A mechanical thank you? Thanks, but no thanks. I wouldn't choose to be on either end of that button.

I'd prefer to send hand-written thank you notes on good rag paper, delivered to my fellow community members by clipper ship. Alas, clipper ships are in short supply these days, and the forum software doesn't accomodate paper especially well, so I have to type a few keystrokes. That's a very small effort to acknowledge good help, gratefully received.
  20. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Occasionally people are kind enough to thank me. I feel slightly guilty about not writing "you're welcome," but I sacrifice politeness and courtesy for expediency/pragmatism.

Could we split the difference and add a "question answered satisfactorily" button?

I definitely don't like the idea of a "thank you" button--with or without a counter. I certainly don't like the idea of a counter; what's next, calculating one's ratio of "right" answers?
  21. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    These forums are a complement to the dictionaries, but that does not mean that threads need to be like dictionary entries, Heaven forbid! If we don't leave room for human relations, just as if, the other way round, we let it become a chatroom, we'll kill this site.
  22. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US

I think the thing that bothers me the most are those posts with no responses whatsoever.

I don't need a thank you (I'm too old for that), but being a former "teacher" of sorts, it's nice to hear
    "Noooow I get it!"
    "Nope, try again..."

It would be interesting to see the data, stratified by forum, on the number of posts without a response from the originator.

NB: "clipper ships" "rag paper" - I'm still laughing!!!! :D:D:D
  23. coppergirl

coppergirl Senior Member

London, England
    I agree. I also have found the various expressions of gratitude in the I-E forum very useful, since I have picked up a few different ways of saying "thank you" in Italian, thereby increasing my knowledge of the language.

I hope I have been able to do the same for my Italian counterparts who are learning English, and provide them with a few variations which can be useful in different contexts.
  24. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

This idea doesn't appeal to me, either. Just another way to avoid a direct, sincere interaction (sorry for my cynicism).

When I am really appreciative of someone's help I am happy to write it back in a post or PM them. And I appreciate it when I get such thank-you PMs from others from time to time. The button-clicker idea leaves me cold...

PS This may be a generational viewpoint. I am always after my under-30 year-old staff to ensure a personal touch with clients and CALL people back rather than just emailing or texting them. They usually just roll their eyes...
  25. dn88 Senior Member

But introducing the "Thanks" button doesn't mean you're not allowed to post and say "thank you". THAT would be ridiculous.
  26. Revontuli

Revontuli Senior Member

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

A ''Thank you'' button sounds so unlovely... It lacks sincerity. Also, too mechanical, as Panj said. Receiving/giving a direct ''Thank you'' is much better for both sides.

I always enjoy replying to everyone who helps me with a brief thank you post. Is there really anyone who thinks that he loses time by typing?
  27. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I've also noticed that 'trend' in the E-only forum, and find it a little irksome as I'm unsure if the answers or suggestions provided have been read, understood, appreciated, not agreed with or… simply disregarded. :( Any sort of feedback (pos or neg) is always useful and appreciated.

Having said this, I'm not in favour of a "mechanical thanks" button as it takes away the humanity that makes this forum what it is.

Several posts mention the "posts count". Should someone pay attention to this, it is a sure indication of an inflated ego… imho :p

I do sometimes add simple words like "I concur" or "I agree" (with the sentiments or answers in a post) because I mean it and it is good for the original poster/enquirer to see that several people agree with an answer put forwards.
    If a "thank you" button is envisaged, let's go the whole hog and have "I agree" or "give us some context" buttons? I'm just joking :)
  28. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Italian - Italy
    Count me in among the old-fashionate guys :)
    Please don't let this become one of those forums where members get "karma points" to their names or get "voted" for their posts. That just takes the focus off languages and on to egos, in my opinion. Besides, I really can't see what would be the point, considering also the "thread appearance" issue: from what I read about this "thank you button", it would add a list of "thankers" somewhere in the thread, possibly below each post that was satisfactory enough to earn a "thank-you" hit by one or several users: is this what would happen?

So, I picture something like this: poster A gives a good answer to a question/topic and gets thanked, and this shows somewhere in or below their post(s). Then poster B comes along, adding further helpful insight/suggestion about the same topic, and s/he gets "thanked" several times too.
    Then the odd visitor getting to the thread from a dictionary entry reads through the posts, finds something useful and is triggered to add their own "thanks" to one or more posts. And so on.

What would the resulting thread page look like, and I'm thinking of threads that usually go on for pages because they are about some difficult topics that trigger a lot of answers?
    And how helpful would it be to someone reading through the thread in search for answers, having to scroll down through lists and lists of "thankers" to get to the point that interests them?

My two cents :)

29. coppergirl

coppergirl Senior Member

London, England
    Well, are we sure this wouldn't happen? I mean, I originally thought the "report a post" button was optional too, and since then I have received a PM from a moderator saying that I should have used it in a thread when I did not.

I mean, I have noticed that once something like a new button arrives, things are not so "optional" as they appeared, since not only are people encouraged to use the button, but then a rule develops around the use of the button, and then shortly thereafter anyone who is passively not using the button gets told they should be pressing it more.

I have a feeling that if a "Thanks" button did arrive, it wouldn't be long before we were all encouraged to use it, and then it wouldn't be long after that until those of us who wanted to write "Thanks very much, that was very helpful" were politely told that perhaps we were wasting post space by thanking people personally and that we should use our "Thanks" button instead.

This might just be my feeling on this, but I have seen it happen with other buttons, because once a button arrives, it's tempting for people to try to encourage conformity among users in all the forums, and the more conformity we have, the less room there is for the use of personal judgement or taste on these things.

Just my two cents. :)
  30. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Another forum I regularly visited has "thanks button" (where your ID can be seen), "judgement button" (where you can comment on how you value the post you visited, but your ID would not been revealed). Whether using thanks button or typing words depends on me. I do them alternatively.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  31. Revontuli

Revontuli Senior Member

I don't see any point of having more than one alternative just to thank a member... We can do it simply by a reply, so why need a button?
  32. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I have no objection to your comment. I just don't feel uncomfortable when seeing a thanks button tucked in. Using it or another way is totally personal preference (the another forum I mentioned)
  33. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I have kind of the same feeling, so how I do it (elsewhere)

The thread I started myself I like to type my gratitudes to poster.

The other thread I come acorss if there are posts that I think it's valuable I'd press the thanks button. Then it would not occupy the room on the main page intermittently.
  34. CX23882 Junior Member

English - USA
    Boy, I didn't know it would get this kind of response!

On other forums I tend to post a thank-you, but my point is that a Thanks button can let someone know that OTHER people have found a reply helpful.

For example Person A asks a question. Person B and Person C reply. Person A replies to say thank-you but Person C, Person D and Person E found the post helpful could each post a thanks but this bumps the thread to the top unnecessarily. With a Thanks button they can just add to the counter for how helpful that particular post has been. Then when Person F comes and suggests an alternative answer, the thread is rightfully bumped.

I'm not saying you shouldn't say thanks. In fact it annoys me when people don't say it on other forums. But in some situations it might not be appropriate or some users might feel uncomfortable thanking answers in someone else's thread.
  35. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Right on.
  36. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

That's a different purpose, though, which might indeed be useful

See this online dictionary. Other people reading a posted definition has a chance to vote on whether they agree with the proposed definition.

In this forum we often see people trying to translate/interpret a question in a way that others can see does not really work--with this kind of voting button, future readers could decide themselves whether there was much credibility to the suggestion.
  37. Moon Palace

Hey, guys, consider this post (I have erased the posters' names but I found it today on the forum)
    Would a Thanks Button do anything of the kind? Isn't this precisely what humanity is about, and isn't it utterly delightful to get such an answer for just providing some help?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  38. Punky Zoé

Punky Zoé Senior Member

France - français
    Bonjour Moon Palace et merci pour ton post.
    Bonne journée ! :)

Question: is "thanks button" a double-entendre ? :confused: (according to the results get on Google).
  39. dn88 Senior Member

Yes, that's why I am for. Couldn't have said that better.
  40. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    Well - I'm not really interested in knowing how many people voted for or against a definition - I'm rather frustrated not to know why they did so. Which reason an automatic button ("thanks", "pro" or "con") cannot provide.
    In other words, I love the Urban Dictionary, but I can't care much for their "that many people liked this definition" information!
  41. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

After a lot of soul-searching, I'm still not in favour of a "thank you" button, but would like to have one saying "give us some proper bloody context, please oh please" (or words of this nature).
    Any takers?
  42. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Ha! :) :thumbsup:

43. Moon Palace

Teafrog, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Not only should a 'context button' be created, but I even think the thread where context has been required should be blocked so that we avoid erring in our judgement merely because we are making suppositions that eventually turn out to be real blunders. (and I know well what I am talking about as it has recently happened to me... :()
  44. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    I might be able to live with a button that produces the following:
    Thank you for providing good background and complete context, together with a meaningful thread title and a clear topic.
    I would much rather thank a thread starter for enabling a useful discussion, than someone who makes a good guess in reply to a badly stated question. But that's just me...or is it?
  45. Teafrog

Teafrog Senior Member

Mmmh, that's what I would call a "half-half button": a thank you button coated with a topical outer layer :D. It could work…
    Let's see what the others have to say about this little beauty. I have two niggling problems with your suggestion, though:

1. It is quite a mouthful (eyeful?)
    2. Given the likelihood that all points are rarely met, this button might get rusty rather quickly ;) (unless there will be a possibility to edit out the irrelevant parts :cool:)
  46. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

USA English
    Personally, I am in favor of a recrimination abbreviation code akin to :] which allows subscribers to put down anyone who disagrees with them. The party who posts the thread, then, will devote his/her energy in trying to figure out the answer and not listen to the infighting. Some examples might be ^^1 = Where did you go to school? ^^2 = I studied in France/show me some respect ^^3 = I believe that is not the imperative consolidated past participle ^^4 = you have been rather snotty about my post ^^5 = So you think my English is that bad; well it is better than your Chinese ad infinitum.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  47. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Thanks Harry! If I had a button to push to show what a good chuckle you have given me, I would ignore it and write you a genuine thank-you note. :)
  48. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    I don't like the idea at all. I like people not robots. Clicking a thank you button would be like clicking the period button. It wouldn't mean anything.

But as I see people are asking for buttons I would like to have one red chat button. I click on it and a red dot flashes on the thread:

hiya, i wanna my spanish/mexican/peruvian chick to do so and so in bed hehehe. u tell me how hihihi. your great guyz
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  49. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Instead of a "thank-you" button, I want one that says, "____, you're awsome, I love you, you are the bestest!", and would automatically fill in the space with the name of your choice.

50. andurinha Senior Member

Spanish Spanish
    Actually I do agree with the question answered satisfactorily button. It could also de used to close the topic.

Counter? What for?