1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Thanks for coming!

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by NotNow, Aug 20, 2013.

1. NotNow Senior Member

English
    How does a Pole informally express appreciation to a guest for attending a party or reception? I have no idea of where to begin to make a suggestion.

2. BezierCurve Senior Member

"Fajnie, że przyszłaś" (to a woman) or "fajnie, że przyszedłeś" (to a man) would sound natural and informal to me ("Nice that you came").

3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Apart from Bezier's suggestion, I'm also familiar with 'Dzięki, że przyszedłeś'. To my experience this is said especially, at the end of a party while saying goodbye.

You probably know that, but just in case someone else is interested, I'm giving also forms for the plural:
    Dzięki, że przyszliście. (to men or a mixed company)
    Dzięki, że przyszłyście. (to women only)

4. NotNow Senior Member

English
    Thanks, Bezier and Thomas. I over thought this one. I thought of "dzięki, że przyszedłeś" but I was concerned that it emphasized the "coming" part, rather than being at the party.

BTW Would it sound strange to say, "dzięki za to, że przyszedłeś"?

5. BezierCurve Senior Member

To come out really naturally this extra part would need some situational justification (for example, when coming to the party wasn't easy for that person, or when everybody was expected to bring a present, yet someone came to the party with none and apologised for that fact).

Of course, it's not a big deal if you used one version instead of the other.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. Ral.G Senior Member

Polish
    "Dzięki za przyjście." --> "Thanks for coming".

"O, fajnie, ze jesteś." --> "Oh, it's nice/cool that you're here."

7. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Agreed. :thumbsup: To me, that's by far the most natural option. I think I'd be less likely to use, or hear, for that matter, the ones suggested by Thomas and Bezier, but this might be just me.