1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Thanks for your concern

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kenny4528, Jun 12, 2007.

1. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Taipei
    Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi all,

It occurs to me that when I used to receive other members' reply, I sometimes liked using ''Thanks for your concern'' to express my gratitude. I can't help wonder-is it a right expression in this case?(Although no one ever pointed out it is incorrect when I used it, I think you are so kind that you miss it.:))

Thanks.

2. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    "Thanks for your concern" means "Thanks for worrying about me."

So, you see, maybe it wouldn't be the best way to say what you want to say here. I don't think we worry about you, Kenny, because you're so talented and smart!

Which brings us to why no one may have said anything. Sometimes I like the sweet way some posters express themselves, and I hesitate to criticize their attempts, although I know it would be instructional to do so.

But, since you asked, next time, keep it simple and say:

"Thanks for your help."
    "Thank you for clearing it up for me."
    "Thanks for your kind reply."
    "Thanks for your informative answers."

Maybe some others here will come up with some more.

AngelEyes

3. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Taipei
    Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you, AngelEyes, for your kind reply.:)

By the way, as a learner of English, I would say I glad to see you point out my mistakes, no matter when and how small it is.

4. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States

You asked for it. :p

AngelEyes

5. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Taipei
    Mandarin, Taiwan
    I got it, thanks.:)

6. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Aw that's nice;)
    In a weird way it makes sense why someone might say the phrase in question but it sounds odd actually saying it, unless you have a problem with language and someone really goes out of their way (does a lot) to help you with an important issue.

7. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    Thanks for your concern is also something you might say when you're not really thankful but you want to appear polite. ;)

Elisabetta

8. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Taipei
    Mandarin, Taiwan
    Than you, Alex_Murphy and TrentinaNE.

you're not really thankful but you want to appear polite.

That is interesting. I will bear it in mind.:)

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Is concern always worrying - or perhaps more caring than worrying?
    Concern could also be about interest or "solicitious regard" - a general concern to see that someone gets a good, clear, correct response to their question.

I don't think Thank you for your concern sounds at all strange here.

10. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    "Hi what's the Italian word for cat?"
    "It's "gatto"
    "Thanks for your concern"

?

11. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Taipei
    Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi panjandrum, since you came up with that, it suddenly seems to be personal perception, right?

By the way, I can't find ''solicitious'' in WR dictionary.:confused:

12. AWordLover

AWordLover Senior Member

Atlanta, Georgia USA
    USA English
    Hi,
    There was a slight misspelling look here.

Here is another hint regarding the fabulous WR dictionary. Whether you find the word or not, it lets you look at Merriam Webster online and dictionary.com.

When I looked a m-w.com the first choice for an alternate spelling was the correct choice.

Enjoy,
    AWordLover

13. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I remember when I was still a student (oh, the good old days:rolleyes:)Once I asked my teacher for a recommedation letter.

It started like this: "To whom it may concern..............."

I think dear panj has a point here, as usual:eek::D

14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Correct - the "I don't think ..." indicates that clearly.
    Oops, my fingers typed an ious instead of ous - sorry, I was in a rush.
    Sure enough, that's odd.
    But in response to a post that corrected a deep misunderstanding and was based on half-an-hour's research and deep thought, it's a worthy statement of appreciation.

I have learned to be very tolerant of the ways people express appreciation here. I assume first of all that they are sincere. If I'm wrong, that's sad. But I'd much prefer to assume that everyone is sincere, and be wrong sometimes, than assume they are cynical and manipulative.
    It's a nicer world I live in.

15. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    I'm not quite sure what the mood of this thread has evolved into, but I would like to contribute a little more of how I came to give my answer.

At least in my experience, I would say, "Thanks for your concern." in a totally different venue than an academic one such as this Forum. "Concern" is a word, in my mind, that's a notch higher on the emotion scale than for thanking someone for answering a grammar question.

I would be "concerned" for someone if the question involved some kind of sympathetic theme, such as a painful encounter or a grief Forum, or something having to do with a more comforting type of atmosphere.

If I replied in that type of situation, I would certainly be offering my concern - and it would be sincerely given, too. I would also expect a poster to reply in kind, "Thank you for your concern." The emotion would fit the circumstance for me then.

That's why I offered my list of suggestions to Kenny that I did. Those replies "fit" the feeling of the event.

I hope I'm expressing myself clearly, and that you realize that it's just my opinion and I respect everyone else's opinion, too.

Thanks for your understanding. (See, Kenny? Here's another example that's totally different from the rest of the ones I suggested this morning.) :)

AngelEyes

16. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    If I received an answer to a language question for example here, in the English Only section, then I wouldn't say "thanks for your concern" as an expression of appreciation.

But if someone did their best to help me, helped me, or gave really useful instructions how to solve a technical problem in the Comments & Suggestions section, then I would see nothing wrong in expressing my gratitude that way.

Just my opinion. :)

17. whynottail Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Do you actually want to say-

Thank you for your attention to/interest in the matter.

18. ohmyrichard Senior Member

If my friend has written to me telling me his or her worries about my situation, then it is correct to say in my reply "Thanks for your concern." Is my understanding right about this expression?

19. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    As I see it, your understanding is correct. The context you describe seems perfect for the phrase.

20. ohmyrichard Senior Member

Thanks a lot, EStjarn.