Thanks for your prompt response to this matter.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by audy26, Apr 9, 2007.

1. audy26 New Member

PR
    PR - espanol
    Lo que quiero decir es Gracias por su pronta respuesta a este asunto. Quiero que me contesten rápido pero no quiero que suene como una orden, sino como un pedido. Además espero haber utilizado la palabra Thanks adecuadamente. Gracias por la ayuda.

2. salvamea4545 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    Colombia, Spanish
    Que te parece esta.

I will greatly appreciate your prompt response to this matter.

3. Xewells

Xewells Senior Member

Indiana, USA
    American English
    Usually when it is a business letter they say: Thanks for your prompt response in this matter.

4. audy26 New Member

PR
    PR - espanol
    Me gusta como suena. Es lo que estaba buscando. ¡GRACIAS!

5. Soledad Medina Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Cuba, Espanol
    Thank you in advance for your prompt response to this matter.
    Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

SM

6. audy26 New Member

PR
    PR - espanol
    It is a business letter. Thanks Xewells!

7. profe105 Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    English, United States

"In this matter" doesn't make sense.

8. Xewells

Xewells Senior Member

Indiana, USA
    American English
    "In this matter" does make sense, atleast to me. I ran it by some other American friends too and they all agreed you can say it that way. "Reponse to this matter" literally means that you're responding to the matter (matter meaning problem). However, "Thank you for your prompt response in this matter" means Thank you for your prompt response (to me) in this situation. I guess really it depends on what you're asking them to do. If you're asking someone to take care of a problem by themselves it would be "To" but if you're asking them to get back to you or to respond to you it's "in."

9. Tu2Bene

Tu2Bene Senior Member

Oakland, CA.
    United States, English
    I don't think "in this matter works." It might be grammatically correct but it just sounds wrong. "Thank you in advance for your prompt response to this matter" is a very common way to politely end a letter in which you are requesting someone do something.

Also "I will appreciate your prompt response to this matter" is wrong. It should be "I appreciate your prompt response to this matter."

10. profe105 Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    English, United States
    Xewells,

I'm going to continue to disagree with you. "In this matter" in this context does not sound right to me. I've never seen that in a business letter. In the context that the original poster gave, "Thank you in response to this matter" is the best option.

If you google both sets of phrases in quotes, you get about 4 times as many for "to this matter" as you do for "in this matter."

11. Xewells

Xewells Senior Member

Indiana, USA
    American English
    Ok, I appreciate your disagreement. However, I did 2 google searches. "RESPONSE IN THIS MATTER" Returned 18,200 results. "RESPONSE TO THIS MATTER" Returned 19,300 results. Given this, I would say that both are acceptable. "to this matter" may be slightly more common, but I think they're both accepted.

Let me know...

:)

12. profe105 Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    English, United States
    I googled the entire phrase that is in question, not just the last part of the phrase.

What do other native English speakers say? I'd like to hear more opinions on this.

13. durito Junior Member

San Diego
    USA/Spain English/Spanish
    Thanks for your prompt response to/in this matter.

Both sound correct to me and both appear in publications I've read.

It would be like saying... I'm going for/on a walk. It's not one or the other. They're both correct.

14. soltango Senior Member

Santa Barbara, CA
    USA, English
    I believe that they are both correct, but "response TO" seems more common to me - it's certainly what would flow most naturally out of me if I were writing it.

One thing (and I know it's far too late for the original poster) - no one will think twice about it if you use "thanks", but for a formal business letter, I think "Thank you" is the standard - thanks is slightly more casual (though it's really not an issue that will make or break your business relationships.)