1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Thanks for your understanding to the matter.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Nozom, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Nozom New Member

Kanagawa
    Japanese
    Hi, I have a question regarding a phrase "... understanding to the matter." I was told by a native speaker of English that I know that he has never heard of this phrase. He said "Thanks for your understanding in the matter." is better. But I think there is a situation the above phrase is suitable. For example when asking for understanding, where the other person does not yet understand the matter concerned. I would like to hear what you think.

Thanks
    Nozomu

2. toshev Senior Member

Australia, English
    Did you come up with it yourself or did you hear it elsewhere?

I've never heard of it and it sounds very wrong.

3. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    "Understanding to the matter" doesn't make any sense to me. I would expect either "in" or "of".

4. Nozom New Member

Kanagawa
    Japanese
    Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I made the sentence myself but I thought I saw it somewhere else. I can find some examples simular to it on the web though, I know, it does not mean much.

The question I have now is if the sentece "Thanks for your understanding in/of the matter." is appropriate when something bad happened and asking for understanding. For example, the price has to be raised due to high oil price.

I feel that in such a case, "Thanks for your understanding regarding/in regard to the matter." may be better.

Does my point make sense or it doesn't matter at all?

Thanks, :)
    Nozomu

5. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    Informally, Nozom - welcome to the forum, incidentally - you could say simply "Thanks for understanding" or "Thanks for your understanding". It's likely that the person you're talking to knows exactly which matter you are referring to anyway. More formally, for example in a business letter dealing with a price increase due to rising oil prices, you might rather say "Thank you for your understanding in this matter", as you suggest.

Alternatively - since "thank you" tends to suggest the other party has already been told, and has accepted the position, whereas you might in fact be writing to tell them for the first time - you could say "I hope you will understand our reasons for...e.g. coming to this decision/taking this step, etc"

6. Aardvark01

Aardvark01 Senior Member

Midlands, England
    British English (Midlands)
    I agree it sounds odd, but would it not be corect in this sentence:

"We were all arguing until you brought your understanding to the matter."

now where do I put this question mark?

7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Might you also mean 'Thank you for being so understanding (in the matter)'?