That’s how I was raised

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

MSA: That’s how I was raised

كذلك رُبيت.
  2. ahmedcowon Senior Member

هكذا رُبيت ("That's how" is هكذا)

I'll translate it as هكذا تمت تربيتي
  3. Haroon Senior Member

C A I R O
    تلك كانت نشأتي/ تلك هي الطريقة التي نشأت بها
  4. barkoosh Senior Member

هكذا تَرَبَّيْتُ
  5. jmt356 Senior Member

Is تربّى an actual word? I cannot find it in VerbAce Pro. All I can find is ربّى (Form III).

Can كذلك be used instead of هكذا? I believe كذلك means “as that,” which I suppose roughly means “that’s how.”
  6. barkoosh Senior Member

The verb تربّى does exist. See here.

كذلك means "also", "likewise". It doesn't convey the meaning intended in "that's how".
  7. Arabic_Police_999 Senior Member

Arabic is based in root system, and it has thousandths of way to create a new word from the same root, so don't expect to find every word you hear in a dictonary,
    anyway backing to your comment the verb
    rabaa ربا(form 1) means to become bigger in size, prospering
    rabbaa ربّى(form 2, this form Fa33ala is causative and transitive, and the verb rabbaa didn't just happen at once it happened in different stages,eventually it means grow= you made him bigger through stages not at once)
    ربّى محمدُ خالدًا
    tarabbaa تربَّى(form 3 this form tafa33al is reflexive and intransitive, and the verb tarabbaa also didn't just happen at once it happened in different stages and causer is not important)
    تربَّى خالدُ في لندن

getting back to That’s how I was raised, you have two options to translate I was raise.
    1_I was raised
    is in the passive so u can use the passive from form 2 verb( ُرُبّيت= rubbeetu)
    2_ Or you can use the form 3 verb to indicate the actual causer is not relevant or important( تَرَبَّيْتُ= tarabbaytu)

هكذا is build from هاء التنبيه( the Ha that brings attention)+كاف التشبيه(it means as or like)+ذا(it mean this)= it means eventually like this way_ هكذا تضع القلم= you put the pen ilike this way
    كذلك is build from كاف التشبيه(it means as or like)+ذلك(it mean that)= you can use it letteraly like( I'm like that boy_ أنا كذلك الولد) if use it metaphorically it means something far thet's not expected, it's in a way similar to ALSO
    all the student failed the exams, also the hard working student!! جميع الطلبة رسبوا في الامتحان كذلك الطالب المجد

so the best translation is_ هكذا تربّيت(if you want to emphasize that action and you this the best) :)
  8. jmt356 Senior Member

Is this a proper use of هكذل (like this) and كذلك (also / likewise):
    لتأت هكذا، كما في دولتك كذلك في دولتي (That it come like this, as in your country, likewise in my country)
  9. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    For me it does..
    كذلك holds this meaning in the Quran, doesn't it?
  10. barkoosh Senior Member

Didn't know that. Thanks for the feedback.
  11. jmt356 Senior Member

But wouldn’t it be more appropriate to use the subjunctive with the verb أتى rather than the jussive?
    ليَأْتِيَ التطوير هكذا، كما في دولتك كذلك في دولتي

ليَأْتِ التطوير هكذا، كما في دولتك كذلك في دولتي
  12. Arabic_Police_999 Senior Member

if you used the Subjective mood the sentence make no sense, if u used the Jussive it make sense
    ليأتي is subjective the ل could be either لام التعليل(the laam that explains) or لام الجحود( the laam that deny)
    ليأتِ is Jussive and the ل is لام الأمر(imperative laam)
  13. jmt356 Senior Member

So can we say that اتى in the sentence ليَأْتِ التطوير هكذا is functioning as a command (jussive imperative)?