That being said vs. That means

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wannaTalk, Oct 22, 2008.

1. wannaTalk Junior Member

USA
    Korean
    Are these two phrases are interchangeable? Thank you!!!

2. kitenok Senior Member

Hi wannaTalk, and welcome to the forum!

No, these phrases are not interchangeable.

That being said (or that having been said) is used as a transition from something you have just said to something different, often something that contradicts the first thing. It is close in meaning to however.
    I love apples. That being said, I almost never eat them.

That means... is used to introduce a clarification or a cause-effect relationship based on something you have just said.
    I love apples. That means I eat them all the time.

3. wannaTalk Junior Member

USA
    Korean
    Hi kitenok,
    Thanks for the answer to my first posting on the forum.

I've been heard "that being said" in many occasions, but I never noticed that it's been used with contradicting meanings. Especially, on the meetings, many presenters (speakers ? which one is better?) were using "that being said" when they tried to summarize their opinions or draw the conclusion.

i.e.) We had a hard time to deal with the international project long time ago. Since then we've been only focused on domestic market in US. That being said, our company might not be interested to be involved in this project, i guess.

Does it make sense?

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I think I say That said rather than That being said which is wrong in my view: after all the expression should surely be, in full, That having been said.

I'd say the expression was used to introduce a qualification rather than a contradictory idea, so I find your use of it in your second paragraph quite correct, Wannatalk.

5. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I'm going to agree with Kitenok. The sentence doesn't make sense to me, as written. The only reason for using "That being said" (or "That said") is to possibly contradict something and your sentence doesn't do that. The use of "That being said" would lead me to believe that the last part of the sentence should read "...our company might be interested in being involved in this project, I guess".

Even the "I guess" at the end of the sentence implies that there is a possibility that notwithstanding the company's previous reluctance to deal internationally, perhaps they might do so in the future.

6. wannaTalk Junior Member

USA
    Korean
    Thanks for all responses. Now, I'm confused about the interpretation of "That having been said" gramatically. The phrase itself doesn't imply any contradictory meaning at all, but it's using is to contradicts the previous saying.
    Can I just use "That having been said" like "however", "nevertheless", "even so",...something like that?

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    We've had a difficult time dealing with international projects in the past. Since then, our focus has been on the domestic U.S. market, so we might not be interested in this project.

Having said that :), "might not be interested" means also that you might be interested, depending on what is really involved. So you have to decide if you're not interested at all, no matter what, or if this sentence is an introduction to asking for more information so you can make a final decision.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Yes, I think you can, Wannatalk.

9. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    That being said means that you are making a statement, but even though you have said it, you want to state that there are contrary opinions/statements too.

I'm a careful driver, I always drive within the speed limit but that being said, I have been known to speed on the motorway.

I'm a careful driver, I always drive within the speed limit (on normal inner city roads, where there are people and traffic lights. )

having said that ( even though it's true, it's not strictly the whole truth, and I have an exception which is this...

I have been known to speed on the motorway.

So even though I am telling you one thing, I need to tell you something contrary, so I'm being honest with you.

10. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I'm still having trouble parsing "that being said".

Try the grammatical form with a different verb. I went shopping: I went to the chemist; that being done I went to the greengrocer. I don't like this at all: having done that or that done seem perfectly good (i.e. much better) ways of expressing that idea.

My advice is stick with having said that or that said.

11. Kevral New Member

Greek

I'm not a native speaker, but--to me too--what seems to make more sense grammatically is that having been said, or that said. Otherwise, it's like something is being said while you say something else (did that make any sense? :-/)

Also, can't that said--in any of its variations--be used to lead into something?

Example (as I apparently have trouble expressing myself today):

This is my first independent movie, and I want all of you to know I more than appreciate you coming to the premiere. That said, let us get on with the show.

Or maybe I've been using that wrong for a while now, huh?