1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

That depends on what you want to talk about

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by dannydarg, Apr 17, 2013.

1. dannydarg New Member

English
    Hi All,

I would like to translate the following into Russian: "That depends on what you want to talk about".

If the sentence were "That depends on what you want" it would be easy (I think) since you just say "Это зависит от того что ты хочешь" where the verb in the second clause (хочешь) takes the direct object (что).

But in Russian, you need to put the "about" in front of the relative pronoun "what": "о чeм...". Hence, my guess would be to translate the sentence as follows:

"Это зависит от того, о чем ты хочешь говорить".

However, the combination of "от того, о чем" feels suspicious to me and I just want to confirm that this is acceptable Russian (I have looked on the internet for confirmation of such constructions and it is not clear to me whether or not this is correct syntax).

If someone could confirm that this is correct Russian - and if not then help me translate this sentence - then I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    D

2. Sobakus Senior Member

Yes, the syntax is correct, however I suspect you need a perfective verb, because говорить either means to give a speech or stresses the duration which you don't want to do outside of appropriate context.

3. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    От того - universal link to any kind of subordinate sentence such as:

Зависит от того, кем ты хочешь стать / что ты выберешь / чему ты хочешь посвятить себя / что ты хочешь / кто это говорит / etc., etc...
    In other words, pronoun того semantically is equal not to the pronoun in the subordinate sentence, but rather to the whole subordinate part.

4. tacirus Junior Member

Russian
    Your translation into russian is quite ok, just use "поговорить" instead of "говорить".