1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

that his blood may be sweet

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Flaminius, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Hi all,

I hope this is not too stupid a request according to the standard of the HE forum.

There is a complicated philological theory about Roman gladiatorial games based on testimonies by contemporary Jews. [If you have access to JSTOR, look for "Rabbi Simeon ben Lakish at the Gladiator's Banquet: Rabbinic Observations on the Roman Arena. Marc Zvi Brettler and Michael Poliakoff. The Harvard Theological Review Vol. 83, No. 1 (Jan., 1990), pp. 93-8".]

The article discusses a variant text of b. Gittin 47a.2 in Munich MS. According to Brettler et Poliakoff, the manuscript has dnyhwl dmy where the standard text has דליחול אדמיה. The authors read it "sweet blood" and understand the passage as "the Lydians (or ludiarii, those who work for gladiatorial games) let him (Resh Lakish) do what he wanted so that his blood may be sweet." They then use this understanding as evidence of a Roman custom to let gladiators dine profusely in order to make their blood suitable as offering to their ancestors.

I want to verify their theory but am stuck with handwritten Aramaic, or any Aramaic to be exact. I don't know anything about the language. I cannot even locate Gittin 47a in the link above, even though this manuscript search service from Israel says it's in that image exactly. I iterate the link. Here it is:
    http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de...l?id=00003409&fip=193.174.98.30&no=&seite=443

Could someone read handwritten manuscript and point where 47a.2 begins? What I really want to know is if the reading in Brettler et Poliakoff is possible but I also want to see it first hand, by myself.

Thank you in advance,
    Flam

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    The page you link to ends in 45a. You need the next page.

3. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Thank you, Origumi.

I was able to locate "ky hyky dnyHwl dmy" in the next page.