'That is why...' [formal register]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Li'l Bull, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Hi, native speakers of English!

In a job application, I'm going to use 'For all the above reasons, ...' in the last paragraph to refer to all the reasons why I think I'm the most suitable candidate. However, I need to use a similar expression earlier on and I was wondering if 'That is why I believe...' sounds appropriate enough in a formal context. (somehow I think it doesn't :confused:)

Thank you in advance.

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    You could say, "I hope/believe the foregoing arguments summarise/summarize why I would be the most suitable candidate and I assume the chairmanship will be mine within 3 years."

(Absent the entire application, it's rather difficult to suggest an ending.)

3. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    > 'That is why I believe...'?

I can see no reason why this wouldn't be suited to a job application, provided, of course, it's used appropriately.

4. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you, Beryl. What do you mean by 'appropriately', though?

So do you think it is correct and proper for any kind of formal/academic writing?

5. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    >So do you think it is correct and proper for any kind of formal/academic writing?

Yes, it's fine. It's not in the least bit informal. It's entirely neutral, which is what you want. :)

>What do you mean by 'appropriately', though?

Grammatically, I suppose. As PaulQ has said: 'Absent the entire application, it's rather difficult to suggest an ending.'