1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

that man's father is my father's son

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mrxkms, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mrxkms Senior Member

Arabic-English
    Hello all

I think most of you know the riddle that says:
    "Brothers and sisters have I none, but that man's father is my father's son."

I am not asking for an answer for the riddle, I got it, even though I didn't understand it.

I am afraid that I misunderstood the language of the riddle specially the last part of it. So you may consider my question as a comprehension one.

but that man's father is my father's son
    did I understand this part the way you did?

I don't know how to express myself better but let me ask you if it is like this:

The father of that man is the son of my father.

Is it like this or is there a gap in the language of the riddle that I can,t fill?
    Isn't the 's functioning the way we all know? Isn't what follows the 's a possession of what precedes?

Please, Excuse my very simple language. I hope that the riddle is too hard to solve. I don't want my very simple language disappoints me.

2. Chicaroja New Member

UK
    English - United Kingdom
    Hi mrxkms,

You have understood it perfectly well: "but that man's father is my father's son" is exactly the equivalent of "but the father of that man is the son of my father".

I hope that helps.

3. mrxkms Senior Member

Arabic-English
    Do you the logical answer for this riddle?
    the answer is the man's son but how? I am really confused.

4. thatfunkymunky Junior Member

USA
    English - USA
    "My father's son" or "the son of my father" must be the speaker himself because he has no brothers or sisters.

Replace "my father's son" with "me" and you get "that man's father is me."

Change it around and you have, "I am that man's father." "That man" must be my son.

Does that make sense?